Working on my Setup, and want opinions

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
The setup im going for is for fish/corals. I was thinking about a 55 gallon tank with an in tank hang on refugium. Also i was thinking about using a canister filter instead of the average hang on filter? I know a little bit about sumps but do you need a sump and refugium or one or the other??
Also i dont want to be a tacky hobbyist so are In tank refugiums in or out these days??
Lastly can someone define what is a "drilled" tank. Im takin it that it has something to with the plumbing and a sump. but i could be wrong. Help a brotha out

**any suggestions or changes would help me out in a big way, let me hear from you**

Hi and welcome.

Everything sounds good. I wouldnt necessary use a canister filer as it will require media change frequently. If you dont change the media, it will rerelease all the toxins back in your tank.

I would recommend getting a good skimmer as your primary mechanical filtration instead of the canister. A good skimmer and plenty of live rock will suffice as your primary source of filtration Weekly 10% water changes are also highly recommended.

As for the trend in this hobby, im not too sure. I think most people have the fuge under the DT because its more convenient and easier to setup.

A drilled tank is a tank with holes predrilled to be used as overflows. The holes conned to a tube that will drain the water down into the sump and from your sump you pump the water back into the DT.

Best of luck.

Ok, thnx. Since i do want a sump. Im thinking that my best bet would be to also turn this into a refugium.lm thinking about something like a 15g or 20g. But im not really sure. if i were to buy the basic rectangular tank, how would i seperate the skimmer area from refugium?? Or do you have to buy a 15 or 20g sump so each section is already seperated??

Hi and welcome!

I also second the opinion to get a good protein skimmer and skip other types of filters. If you have 1 to 2 lbs of live rock in your tank and a good skimmer, you should have sufficient filtration with those alone.

You should use one tank for the sump/refugium, but like C said, just silicone in dividers. It's easy, even I was able to build my own!

I have been reading up on marshalls island live rock, and i like it because its porous and light. Becauseof its weight it has a much better weight to surface area ratio than other live rock, making it a more effective biological filtration,but it seems too hard to get to the states due to amount limitations.
So what are some other great colorful live rocks that you guys use??

I think you would be more happy with a 75 gallon. Same length but its longer from front to back. To me 55's look too skinny but that just my opinion. Good luck!

If you are going to have a sump, then definitly get a drilled tank. getting a tank drilled, or buying one allready drilled is just a cheap as buying a overflow box. and they work much better.

yea i thought about a 75 gal tank, but im just a college student and unless i can find a great deal on one i wont be getting it. Almost had a 55 gal for 100 off of ebay but was outbid. but anyway...i know those drilled tanks (or reef ready) run for a good penny to. So what about a bow front 55 gal, is this a good choice??

I also got my LR from there. I can say though that bowfront tanks looks much nicer in that size than the standard rectangle. I have a 46g bowfront.

I recommend a sump/fuge together like others have mentioned.I don't recommend an ''in tank'' refugium.They would just take up way to much space.There are many HOB refugiums if you don't plan on setting up a sump.

Sorry,I've never seen the Marshall Island live rock first hand.There's so many names for live rock out there,its hard to keep up with them all.I have the Lalo live rock from the website Bifferwine linked to and Uaniva live rock from Saltycritter.com.Both are light weight,porous and has excellent coralline coverage.

Back