Would a skimmer/fuge help me out?

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I've had my tank running for about a year now without a skimmer. I do water changes when I remember. Sometimes twice a week, sometimes once every other week. I have yet to have any nitrates come up on any test. All of my corals are flourishing(all softies, lps anyhow).

I do a lot of reading and I know the benefits of a skimmer. I'm just not having any problems. I have a Octo 800s; and I'm considering getting a HOB aquatraders skimmer/refugium to place on the tank if it'll be beneficial.

Thanks guys.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D Some members here are successful at a skimmerless tank. And it sounds like you are on top of your maintenance. But the skimmer will at least help get all the waste and excess food out before they become a problem.

If you don't have nitrates, a fuge might not work for you -- the algae actually eats up nitrates...it might starve if you put some in. My chaeto eventually started dying in my old 45g because after it ate up all the nitrates and grew like crazy. But since my nitrates were always 0 afterwards, my chaeto starved and almost died out.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D Some members here are successful at a skimmerless tank. And it sounds like you are on top of your maintenance. But the skimmer will at least help get all the waste and excess food out before they become a problem.

If you don't have nitrates, a fuge might not work for you -- the algae actually eats up nitrates...it might starve if you put some in. My chaeto eventually started dying in my old 45g because after it ate up all the nitrates and grew like crazy. But since my nitrates were always 0 afterwards, my chaeto starved and almost died out.

I didn't even really consider the starving part of the chaeto. I just kinda figured it'd hang around regardless, lol. Easy to forget how alive some of this stuff is. I went ahead and added the skimmer to my tank but haven't flipped it on yet. Doing that today.

Thank you for the advice!

Back