Would this DIY overflow work?

Charliegrs

Reefing newb
Ive noticed that its seems like its impossible to find smaller tanks (30 gallons or less) with built in overflows. Maybe I just havent looked hard enough. Anyway, I dont want to mess with hanging overflows, Im kind of afraid of them. Also I dont want any kind of filter system like a power filter or bio wheel. Id like to still be able to use a sump with a smaller tank. So I had an idea, what if I siliconed into the tank a piece of blue or black acrylic that would be the same size as the back of the tank, except with the cutouts for water to flow through. Then drill a hole or two in the back glass for side mounted bulkheads. This way, the acrylic acts as the back wall of the tank, the water flows over the cutouts and into the chamber that is between the acrylic and glass and into the bulkheads. Sure, id lose a little bit of real estate in the tank, but I figure I can probably mount the acrylic about 2 inches out and be ok. It may be hard to visualize what Im saying, so heres a crappy paintshop drawing to demonstrate:

So, do you folks this would work?

Attachments

• aquarium.jpg
    aquarium.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,987
It would work, I don't even think you'd have to give it 2"..1" would probably be sufficient as long as the bulkhead will fit....

Just make sure you make it sturdy enough, since the 30g has limited room, you're probably going to lean rock on the back wall..You don't want the acrylic wall to flex or break.

Make sure you use "colored" acrylic rather than painting it.

Back