Wow, my little blue hermit..

rlsdsurfer

Reefing newb
..has apparently eaten a nass snail and stole its shell!

Which brings me to this thought, What do hermits and snails do when they out grow there shells?
Also, having a problem with ast snails flipping over and not being able to right themselves and in this narrow tank is becoming an issue. What other snail does the same job as the ast snail?

Put an assortment of different sized empty shells in the tank will reduce the liklihood of your hermits killing snails for their shells, but in my experience, some hermits prefer to kill for their new shell. I have put all my hermits in the sump now.

well....I guess I need some shells. The other blue leg is the same size so might be looking also. Then I have 2 good sized red legs that also mat need shells. Are they specific? Or can I go for a walk on the beach? Live in San Diego.

It becomes a snack. Most people avoid hermits, I personally like them, so I know that every so often I have to re-stock my snail population lol. And that's with me throwing some shells in when I buy new hermits. Just a trade-off if you want to have them lol

They eat/kill eachother for shells too. And, I'd be leery of putting small fish (Like a Clown Goby) with them. Chances are, they'd be fine, but it'd piss me off if they nipped at em. They can also steal food from corals if you're doing spot-feeding. So, yeah.

Back