WTF is going on??

Two 23 watt cfl with dark brown growth so far (running almost a month)

In regard to your scrubber if you only have brown growth after 6 weeks you've got one of 2 issues.

1. Not enough flow on the screen.
2. Not enough light, or the lights aren't close enough. Are you using CFL bulbs?

That's the only 2 things that can cause only brown growth. The lights need to be 4" or less from the screen. Increase your flow.

I did have a lawnmower but he never would really eat the stuff.

I might try the seahare

I only have three fish for sure right now
- false perc Clown
- 1 1/2 inch blue hippo (I know pushing limits on tank, but will find something to do with it when it grows - my three year old wanted it)
- Spotted mandarin (i have pods everywhere)

I feed maybe 1/4 to 1/2 frozen cube mysis (maybe mix a little brine/blood worms/oyster eggs in there) each evening (too much?)

My scrubber has been running since the January 2nd, but I had to rebuild it once since then. I am VERY limited in space and may even have to scrap it if I cannot get it running correctly. I have two CFL 23watt floods on it exactly 4 inches away and would need to decreas the size of the screen to increase the flow. could be possible but am going to give a couple more weeks to see how things turn out as I get good growth for a day or so then brown.

How big is your screen right now? I assume since you said you can't increase the flow that your return pump is running at full speed? Keeping the brown growth for another 2 weeks isn't going to give you anything but more brown growth. What K are your bulbs?

Last edited:
Screen is approx 96 square inches (12 x 8) and yes mag 5 full bore. cannot increase virticle or horizontal (at least until I get new stand and more room. I do have an Idea that I may be able to implement if it does not improve before I give up on it.

Your screen is too big for your system..You're not accounting for headloss etc...You don't have 500gph coming out of that overflow, because you don't have 500gph coming from the return pump...Cut that scrubber in half.

Also...clean ALL of the brown off of it.

Head Loss

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you've read some of SantaMonicas posts but, here are a few exerpts that may pertain to you.
"If you are running a scrubber to help remove algae from the display, try first running the scrubber without manually removing algae off of the rocks. This is because when you scrub algae off of the rocks (or if you put a lawnmower or similar in) while the rocks are still in the tank, the algae will float around and die, causing a nutrient spike. It's better to let the scrubber slowly remove the algae for you. This will prevent spikes, and is less work too.

However, if there are LOTS of algae in the display (so much so that the phosphate and nitrate tests are zero), then your scrubber may not easily compete, even after many weeks. So if after four weeks you don't notice a reduction in algae in the display, then slowly start removing algae manually from the display (or, add a small algae eater). Don't remove TOO much algae at once (or don't get TOO big of an algae eater) because that will generate a spike too. Once the algae in the display has been reduced some, your scrubber should be able to take over from there, and all the rest of the nuisance algae should slowly go away."

There was also another post he made but, I can't find it at this time. It said that even after your scrubber is running, your rocks will leach phosphates from the old algae, and you will see that growth until all the phosphates that were leached in are used up.

I agree with getting the water tested at multiple LFS's. Phosphates cause a lot of problems and what Biff said about her dead cucumber could be a possibility. But yeah, cut back a little on lighting and feeding. Is your tank by a window by any chance?

The tank is nowhere near a window. I think I tried too many things at one time. Scrubber and blackout at the same time.

I took prc's suggestion and cut the scrubber sizme in half. Damn what a difference in flow. It looks like a wall of water. This weekend I will have the water tested and buy a 5000 k bulb for the scrubber.

Also going to cut down the lighting a little more and make nemo and friends go on a diet. Hopefully this will solve the issue in time

Now that you mention it I recall the post about the leaching after the scrubber is set up. Perhaps that has been contributing...

Thanks for the advice Guys
:Cheers:

Last edited:
The tank is nowhere near a window. I think I tried too many things at one time. Scrubber and blackout at the same time.

I took prc's suggestion and cut the scrubber sizme in half. Damn what a difference in flow. It looks like a wall of water. This weekend I will have the water tested and buy a 5000 k bulb for the scrubber.

Also going to cut down the lighting a little more and make nemo and friends go on a diet. Hopefully this will solve the issue in time

Now that you mention it I recall the post about the leaching after the scrubber is set up. Perhaps that has been contributing...

Thanks for the advice Guys
:Cheers:

Really hope everything works out for you my friend. :D

It has been a month and I figured that I should update this thread. My algae issue seems to be subsiding after many water changes MUCH patience with pruny hands...

The jury is still out on the scrubber, but I am not giving up yet, I adjusted the flow one last time to see what I can get. However between the scrubber, cheato in the fuge, mangroves and a GFO reactor whatever I am doing seems to be working as all that is left in the display is dying HA and fuzz on the rock which I assume is the remaining phosphate leaching out.

I also changed two of my bulbs out so now I am running 2 UV Aquatic actnic blue bulbs, one Fiji Purple, one ATI Aquablue Special and WOW does it look 100 times better.

Finally here are some pictures. :bounce:

Attachments

• FTS 3-11.jpg
    FTS 3-11.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 158
  • clowns 3-11.jpg
    clowns 3-11.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Im not I can definately tell that whatever I have done in the past couple of months has worked wonders, I increased the flow i think as much as i can and when i cleaned it yesterday there was a slight hint of green so i think I may be moving in the right direction.

I just wish I had more room under the stand so i could build a proper one.

Back