Xenia growing like weeds on steroids...help!

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Hello all,

When I first set up my tank I bought a rock with about 40-50 xenia polyps on it from Petco. At least I think it's xenia. They're red in color and have 8 fingers/tentacles on each polyp. For the first 2 months it seemed to be staying the same size. In the past month is has tripled in size and is now growing all over the back wall in my tank. I have a rock covered in zoa's that the xenia is now starting to take over. What should I do? I don't want it to take over my tank. I also have clove polyps that are following the same suit, but on a much smaller scale.

Thanks,
Dave

just grab them at the base and pull it off the rock. i have about 3ft of my tank that is all xenia. i pull it off and sell it to the lfs for credit. something to think about if it is growing weel in your tank. some people can not keep it alive at all.

here is a pic of my forest

002-13.jpg

Daugherty,

I'll have to snap a few pics of the "xenia" in my tank. It looks nothing like yours. The polyps on mine are more like individual polyps like zoa's, but they open up to look like the tops of your xenia. The fingers on mine are also much slimmer. They're a maroon/rusty color as well. Petco had them labeled as xenia rock, but now I'm thinking that's now what they are.

Thanks for the advise. I would like to try to get some credit at my LFS, but the guys who owns it doesn't seem like the type to give credit. I previously bought a BTA from him and asked if I could return it for credit and he would not take it back. So we'll have to see what happens.

They actually look like niether. The close up w/ the clown look more like my clove polyps. The xenia I'm talking about look like the fingers on top w/ the exception of the feathered appeal to them. They do not pulse. On the same rock I have 5-6 pulsing xenia, but they're a creamy white in color. Also, they are individual polyps. The xenia in your picture have a large base with multiple polyp heads. I'm trying to find a pic on the net that looks similar, but I'm have trouble.

Last edited:
If this helps, each polyp is conected by a branch or tube of some sort. That's how it spread to my back wall. Maybe it can be a pipe organ coral?

Last edited:
Hiker
Post a pic of the coral.That way we know exactly what your dealing with.
But I'm bettin you got green star polyps.Pipe organs usually dont grow that fast.

This has nothing to do with your topic, but, I notice you guys dont use the nozzle ends on your Korilla pumps, why? I cant figure out what Im supposed to do with them, so I keep them on. I think you get a wider spread without them, am I correct?

This has nothing to do with your topic, but, I notice you guys dont use the nozzle ends on your Korilla pumps, why? I cant figure out what Im supposed to do with them, so I keep them on. I think you get a wider spread without them, am I correct?

You are correct.I've only got the nozzles on 2 of my koralias.The ones that are hidden in the rock dont have em.

well the one i was curious of was aptasia the way he was describing it but i am leaning more toward GSP since he said it was a red base and it grows fast

I'm sorry for the lack of picture. My computer at home is down so I don't have the availability to put pics up online from work.

They look like the green star polyps, but they're red. It's not just the base that's red, it's the whole polyp. I'll see if my brother can post the pics for me. Until then it's a guessing game. Thanks for the help and advise!

Back