Yellow Polyp Colony shrinking

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Need some info. My yellow Polyps colony is shrinking. Something must be eating it but I haven't seen what it could be. What eats these? I have Nass, Turbo and Turbin Snails in my tank. The only fish that is reef safe with caution is my Flame Angle and they are not known to eat these. I did have a sundial snail in the tank, but I pulled it out and I haven't seen another. What should I be looking for?

Sit around at night with a red flashlight and see if anything comes out when the lights off. Could be a predatory worm too.

Okay, I took a look over several nights. As long as 4 hours one night. I discovered what has happened to my Polyps. It wont matter much after tonight since the last of them will likely be consumed this very night.

The culprate? My Mexican Turbo snails. No one warned me of this. I wish they had. Maybe no one else has run across this issue with them. I have. Be warned, Turbo snails eat, or at least kill, Yellow Star Polyps. $60 down the drian. ;(

wow, never would have guessed the turbo would be the cause. maybe there was something in the polyps that the turbo was after?

It could be something smaller that youjust dont see right off. My first yellow polyp colony was whiped out by zoa eating nudibranch. I did not catch them till I did the light test on the tank for a whole week. you would be surprised at what comes out of the rocks at night.

Oh, I've got all kinds of little "snail" critters that come out at night. My Zoas are fine though. With my luck every invert I have is going to be a bad guy! With my eye sight and the small size of most of these things I may never know what they are.

Back