Zoanthid Bugs?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I've noticed that some of my zoanthids haven't been opening up lately, and some of the polyps seem to be dying. Tonight I examined them with a flashlight, and I found little tiny grey bug/centipede/pod looking critters crawling all over them, and one of the zoa frags has a polyp that looks like it has a white patch of eggs stuck on it. The zoas had been fine til now, and I freshwater and iodine dipped all of them before adding them to the aquarium. Despite my efforts not to introduce pests to the tank, it seems like I have somehow; what do you guys think? Do you have a guess what pest I might be dealing with? Are the zoas the only target of these critters or should I start freaking out about the welfare of my other corals too?? :passedout

Here's a picture (sorry it's horrible, but it's the best I could do...)
-There's one of the "bugs" on the left of the zoas (the little brownish thing)
-The polyp second from the left is the one that appears to have "eggs" on it...
DSC01893.jpg

Whatever they are, they are pissing off the zoanthids. You can even see in the first pic I posted that the polyp at the very top of the cluster is dying and appears to half eaten...

(Clarification: the 2nd pic I posted was a random pic from Google, not my tank)

You should do a freshwater deep, even if you don't know for sure what's 'bugging' them, hahaha. If there is a pest keeping them closed or eating them, a fresh water dip will help.

I inspected all of the zoas this morning and only one frag plug of zoas (the one pictured above) had any "bugs" on it. So, I freshwater dipped the zoas that had the "bugs" on it, and I left the others alone. I also got a pair of tweezers and removed the "white patch" that was on the zoa polyp. It turned out to be just a little itty bitty piece of LR that somehow got attached to the zoa for whatever reason...

its completly normal to find little "bugs" running around at night, ive seen then bother my zoas at night as well but there more or less just cleaning around the zoanthids, depending how strong of flow a zoa colony is sometimes you more or less will find detrius between the polyps, that whats there after there not trying to kill your zoas or anything dont worry :)

the polyps could be just sick and dying, ive had polyps that were doing great for a long time just start to look sick looking, get reall thin and short and wont open then die, looks like you still got some good polyps on the frag though :)

Back