zoanthids and crabs

sludge

Reefing newb
Hello again to everyone. My 35 gal tank has been going strong for a while now.

I just introduced some zoanthids to my tank but it looks as though my hermits went to town on the colony. I originally thought they were picking at the algae on the rock that the zoos were attached to but now that the lights are on again it seems as though there are fewer zoos.

I have tons (thousands probably) of those little collonista snails roaming about at night so they are taking away from the hermits feeding I'm assuming. I've read that hermits are opportunistic feeders and can go for sessile inverts, i haven't found anything (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough) to state that zoanthids and hermits don't go together. Can anyone confirm that these definately don't go together?

I have a large blue knuckle hermit that eats anything it finds it seems, from brine shrimp to whatever is onmy rock, i also have about 5 small red legged hermits with blue and white.

I made a hanging shelf to prevent the hermits from accessing the zoos for the time being but don't want to leave it like this indefinately.

It is possible thst the hermits ate the zoas. Especially if they were hungry. You could try feeding them more so that they will stay away from the corals.

Back