Zoanthus sp.

jahel318

Reefing newb
I am a beginner with corals. I am eyeing at the zoanthus sp since i've read that they are a good beginner polyp and that occassionally you can feed them micro plankton and baby brine shrimp. However, I don't see any articles that state whether or not they need to be "target fed" or if you just add the plankton in the tank freely. Anyone know?

Zoos do not require any sort of target feeding. They are great beginner coral and come in a wide range of colors and prices.

They do not need to be fed, but I do target feed mine when I feed the rest of my corals. They do take the food and open back up quickly. I don't think there is any difference in growth if you feed or not.

I've read conflicting articles on whether or not these zoas can sting a human and give out poison/allergic reaction when handling. Is this so? Has anyone experienced a sting while handling them? Is there really a need to wear protective gloves while doing maintanance or putting them into the tank?

Absolutely there is a need to wear protective gear. Maybe not every time you put your hands in the tank, but definitely when you're handling zoas.

There have been several confirmed cases of reef keepers (or their children, or pets) getting serious injuries due to exposure to zoanthid/palythoa toxins.
The potency of the toxins vary depending on the species, but it is better to be on the safe side.

Here is another recent case, from another forum that I frequent.
http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/s...ice-in-my-eye-am-I-gonna-be-a-real-pirate-now!
Some of the images could be disturbing to some viewers.

I have only used Coral RX and it works great.
If you go with this brand, it comes in several concentrations so do read the instructions carefully.

The sucky thing with dipping is that it does not distinguish between good and bad hitchhikers.
But those casualties must be accepted in order to reduce the risk of bad stuff coming into the tank.

When you dip corals, you would be surprised at all the little critters that come out of the rocks/plugs when you thought that you have already rinsed the coral thoroughly.

How long should you quarantine zoas? a couple of weeks? I don't see any articles that give a time frame. also, can they be glued on with epoxy instead of coralfix after fragging?

Last edited:
I cannot speak for other reef keepers, but I do not quarantine corals.
I only do a 10 minute dip and then rinse before adding them to the display tank.

Zoas can be attached using superglue.

Has anyone ever purchased from Aqaucon fairly recently? If so, what has been your experience? I'm looking around for some bright colored zoas. Liveaquaria is who I usually get stuff from but I'm looking at Aquacon as well. I understand there have been a few bad experiences according to some of the older posts on this site (posted 4 yrs ago).

Back