Zoo Med fixture for 20 gallon.

stormystormy11

Reef Addicted!
I'm setting up a 75 gallon and would like to use my 20 g for starting corals and new fish. I need to know if my 20 g has enough light. I have a Zoo Med fixture with a 100000k ocean sun and a 100000k coral sun both 22 inches. I don't know anything about lights and bought them because they had nothing else. Watts are not marked on bulbs. Are these ok? I'm also looking at lights for my 75 gallon and will post new thread.

It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like they are regular fluorescent bulbs. You will want a T5 fixture with at least 4 bulbs, or a metal halide pendant.

You should try shopping for stuff like lights online. Local stores usually do not have much of a selection at all. Places like Petco and Petsmart don't even carry lights that are suitable for corals.

Yep..bought them at petco! Can I use this tank for an isolation tank for new fish? I can start corals in the 30 with the mh light. I do have a marineland 19 inch light stuck up on top too.

Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

LED Lighting Features:
  • 17,000 Lifetime Hours
  • Slim stylized lighting profile
  • Illuminated by energy efficient LED's (75 Lumens per 1 watt LED)
  • (6) 1W Daylight LED's Totaling 450 Lumens
  • (3) Lunar LED Lamps

Im kinda confused why you want to start corals in a different tank. Are you talking about a frag tank? Most of us just put our corals right in to the main tank.

Also, i wouldnt want to keep frags in my QT tank. If the fish need treatment, you are going to have to remove the corals and rocks in there.

I just thought it would be easier for some of the small mushrooms and zoas to attach to a small rock in a smaller tank without having to chase it around in a larger tank. I have a pink pincushin urchan that carries anything it can around on its back and a pistal shrimp that drags things down under the rocks. I've had some poor pink zoes that have been floating around for months..very unhappy and haven't opened up because I can't keep them in a crevice or hole.
This worked for a red mushroom and now is spreading very nicely. I understand about the q tank...I thought I'd deal with that when the time comes.

I tried both epoxy and gel glue and it just didn't work. Wouldn't stick or stay. not sure how much I could use. Any tips? I was thinking some type of needle through the coral that didn't rust would be nice to stick on any part of the rock and then remove it when coral sticks. Is something like that available?

Back