Zoo Tank

BigH55

I'm that guy
Do you guys think I could make a zoo only tank with a 20 Gal, canitar filter and a strip light? Id have a heater to of course. Let me know. Id love to grow some nice colonies. Im thinking of maybe plumbinig it into the main tank (110) also. I want to keep it very simple and skimmerless if possible. Do you think a HOB filter would work?

That small a tank,I dont see any reason it couldnt be done.
If you just use the HOB filter,you'd just have to be religous about the water changes.

Thats what I was thinking. I want to set a 100 budget and see if I can make it work. Plus I have some extra equipment lying around and would like to put it to use. Man, I gave away a 40 breeder, 20 long, my old CSS 125 and two 150watt MH lights to my buddy and now I really want them back. Im craving another tank bad.

If you plumbed it into the sump,you'd just have to plumb like any other tank.The only difference is you'd have one sump and 2 tanks.You could either split the return line off the 110 or add in another pump for the 20.

That could definitely work. If not plumbed into your main tank, if you only keep one (or no) fish in it, it should be fine without a skimmer.

i had to plumb a 20 long into my tank for a skimmer and all i did was got some maxi jet 1200 and some 1/2" flexible tubing and ran on from the tank to the sump and the other one from the sump to the tank and its working flawlessly

Everything would work but the lighting. I don't think a regular strip light would work, and if it did it would be low light and I would think the zoas would grow very slowly.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I'm getting ready to do a build on that 20L and put my maroon and only softys in it. I picked up that 48" PC light from prater and cut it down to 30" and have two extra ballasts and bulbs.

Anyway if you don't plumb it you wont need a skimmer on a tank that small, but if you do then it'll be skimmed with the big tank and have better quality as it wont have to mature.

bobby is pretty much correct..... you would need a better light than a regular strip light..... even with a 6" tank..... look at one or two of the pico tank pc lights...... you would have much better luck.....

WOW 6"? I haven't seen them before. What are the rest of the dimensions? I bet that will be an awesome tank!

Back