10 Gallon Mini-Reef Build

What are the essentials that need monitored other than Nitrates, Nitrites, pH, Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium and Salinity? Or is that pretty much it?

P.S. Sorry about posting twice earlier...stupid phone...

you really dont need to keep track of strontium, calcium and mag only become important if you keeping hard corals.

And one of the serpent or brittle stars might do well in a small tank, but will need supplement feeding.

Also catalina gobies require cold water, and just slowly boil to death in reef tanks. What about a clown goby instead?

you really dont need to keep track of strontium, calcium and mag only become important if you keeping hard corals.

And one of the serpent or brittle stars might do well in a small tank, but will need supplement feeding.

Also catalina gobies require cold water, and just slowly boil to death in reef tanks. What about a clown goby instead?

I was just thinking about that last night. My bad to suggest that goby to someone that rather new to the hobby (-1 to me). though there are many clown gobys that are super awesome and I'd highly recommend any of them for the tank as a solo fish. my favorite is the panda clown goby and the citrus clown goby though the black, green and yellow should not ever be over looked as well gobys are a vast family as a species. just takes a bit of research to figure things out.

As to what I meant by reef gently you hit the nail on the head for the most part but its more than that. But just remember to never get any thing your not willing to meet the demands of. To many people out there shop blindly in the beginning and just get a ton of things that are pretty and dumping them in new tanks. its not fair to the critters. So I say reef gently as to think of there needs over yours. Sure all things from the ocean are beautiful but just ask your self.....

1) Is it right for my tank
a) tank big enough
b) will get along with whats in it now

2) Can I meet the demands of this critter

with that said happy reefing :Cheers:

Will that nova extreme 2x20 be okay for a small acro, birds nest, frogspawn, bubble coral and some zoas?

Im willing to learn what I need to meet their requirements through research and you guys. Thanks so far!

News: off to get some rock!

IMG_20111210_110044.jpg

IMG_20111210_110104.jpg

IMG_20111210_110123.jpg

IMG_20111210_110131.jpg

IMG_20111210_110139.jpg

IMG_20111210_110146.jpg

Hey, that little "cave" wont pose a problem, will it? Also, how would some zoas do atop on the little shelf? Can I just use some reef epoxy to stick them there?

yeah you can. you wont be able to keep any sps corals with your lite, such as acros and birdsnest. you probably wouldnt even be able to keep lps such as acans and brains.

Back