10 Gallon Mini-Reef Build

Those need to be dripped, right?

Btw Smitty, I read your thread the other day. Awesome tank, but im sorry to hear what you went through to get there. Good job though and keep up the work.

Would you ever be interested in shipping frags in the futurem

IMG_20111215_122026.jpg

IMG_20111215_122805.jpg

IMG_20111215_122810.jpg

IMG_20111215_122818.jpg

IMG_20111215_122823.jpg

I probably just have one-two more pieces of rock to add. I'm trying to pick out each rock for a specific spot so it's a lot harder to buy some, especially since it's a small tank...I wish I could just buy pounds and pounds of it, but it's just so small that I want exact pieces here and there...oh well.

Next week I think I'm going to get the Marineland LED fixture, but I'd like to have opinions on a glass top...I like the idea of an open-top system, but would that work with a Scarlet Skunk and a little Sleeper Goby or something? Will they jump out?

they sometimes jump. you can make a top out of screen that will hold them in and allow for evaporation.i really think you should swap out your gravel for some sand. gravel tends to lead to high nitrates.

i think you would be limited with that light. i am not sure if the reptile screen would work. hopefully someone with some experience will chip in. your sand looks really chunky in the picture

I think those lights are too long for your tank, I would look for a small hanging LED pendant.

Also most reptile screens i think are suppose to be mildew resistant, which isnt a good thing to be putting over your tank. The chemical that make it mildew resistant arent good. But it really easy to build your own, reef safe top, just check out the DIY section for tons of ideas.

Okay. That Marineland LED should work for lps and sps then, right?

The sand is oddly chunky, btw...oh well. Should I still replace it?

The only sps I want are a birdsnest and an acro. I dont really care if they grow, just that they stay healthy and look good. Its suck.a small tank that ill probably be fragging a lot.

And are favia considered sps? One of those, too.

Works great for my pink birdsnest! I have already had about an 1/8 of an inch of growth on each branch and I have only had it for 2 weeks!

I believe Favia are LPS, I also think they are similar to acans. Am I wrong here?

Sorry to mention that the smallest of the reef capable LED fixtures from Marineland are 18 inches at their shortest. I am sure you could think of a way to make it work. Also, I noticed your question about having a glass top. I have a glass top on my tank and have no problems at all. I do have a skimmer that outputs a few bubbles though. As well as a powerhead that rotates and breaks the surface every 10 seconds or so.

A solid glass top isnt good for our tanks, it holds in heat and even if you have a powerhead rippling the surface you wont get good gas exchange. With a skimmer you can somewhat get around the gas exchange issue, but in your tank that will be a serious limitation.

Also a healthy coral is a growing coral, if they arent growing, they arent doing as well at they should.

So I really do wanna DIY a net or screen? Sounds good. : ]
As for the lighting, the fixture I'm getting has 42 white and 3 blue LED's on a 3-way switch (Day, Off, Night) and the fixture itself is 11" long with "arms" extending to 30".

If healthy corals grow, then they will grow. I just wanna keep them small so I'll have to look into fragging equipment when the time comes. I know they'll outgrow my tank rather quickly because it's so small so I guess I'll have to. Would a 10 gallon make a good frag tank? And if so, could I use a 2x18 or 2x20 T5HO and lunar LED's with just a couple powerheads?

And lastly the favia. If it's LPS or SPS, either way, I want one. I've heard LPS are easier so that's good news!

Thanks again, guys. : ] You're all great.

Good news! I see a lot of red and green growth on my live rock! Ive only had it about a week so Im excited. I also spotted a little white snail today (~1.5 mm). : ) Im thinking hes a hitchiker and has spent most of his life in my tank, but he has a tinyyyy purple stripe so he might be a baby coraline in which case I could have already had something born in my tank. Either way, his name is Squishy and he shall be mine. Yes, seriously.

Also, my hermits are changing shells 1-4 times daily...is that good or bad or..?

Back