adding an anemone?

raggedreef

Reefing newb
I am looking for some advice on an anemone addition to my tank. I am thinking about adding in a condy anemone but am worried about it hurting other things in the tank. I have a damsel, a clown, and a peppermint shrimp and was wondering if any of these would be bothered by the addition.

Just an observation, but is your tank really only 2 weeks old? If so, it's WAAAAY too early to even think about adding an anemone. Also, your fish are in danger of being killed due to your tank cycling. Check your water parameters ASAP.

You really shouldn't add an anenome into a tank until it's been set up for over a year. Anenomes are filled with toxins, when they die they release the toxins, which has the potential to kill everything in the tank.

It has been set up for longer I just haven't changed that in my profile. I have gone through my full cycle and my tank has remained very stable and healthy. I forgot about the year rule on anemones,i saw one for cheap and got excited thanks for the info

FWIW If you want to get an anenome so the clown will host it..There's no guranatee of that. Clowns will host just about anything that they feel like. And some may not ever host anything..It's a crapshoot.

But if that's the goal, maybe look into a hairy mushroom, a large leather (which mine hosts), These thing will accomplish the same goal.

+1 PRC

My clowns host my Duncan coral and my hairy shrooms. Other mbers clowns host their powerheads, certain corners of their tanks, or just pieces or rubble and LR. Its a hot in the dark with Nems. I purchased one for my clowns and they never even gave it a shot, much less looked at it.

And just to add what Prc stated...clowns don't seem to host condys anyway, and if it tries, the condy may eat the clown.

I just liked the way this anemone looked I knew it would just be chance if he would host it I might try the mushroom thing and get an anemone later, any suggestion on which kind is best?

The Condy Anemone is also known as the Haitian Anemone or Giant Golden Anemone. It is found throughout the Caribbean and Western Atlantic(which is why thay are cheap), in lagoons or on inner reefs, as individuals, or loose groups. It is never found in connected clusters. Its disc diameter is of 16" (40 cm), but a disc of about 4" (10 cm) is common in an aquarium. This species has diverse color variations. The base color is usually brown to white and the tentacles may or may not have magenta, purple, or green tips on its long tapering tentacles. The tentacles may occasionally develop a bubble-like appearance to them. It prefers to bury its base in the sand or into the crevice of a rock for protection. The Condy Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although a Condy requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Condy Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Condy Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+619&pcatid=619

I went and read that on live aquaria as well, I think I will just get a large mushroom for now and see if I can get lucky and have him host that, then move on to an anemone once I upgrade the tank.
Off topic question, I am about to switch from my ten to a twenty gallon, already discovered that my filter isn't the best for it, thanks lfs, but will I need to add a power head/protein skimmer into that tank? and if I get a different filter any suggestions, I am on a budget

I have about seven pounds of lr in my ten gallon and will add more once I get a twenty set up. I have a hang on the back filter that is made for a fifty gallon tank that the lfs told me was good for both salt or freshwater but I was now told differently and I wanna make sure I do my setup correctly. Any ideas on what is best and most cost effective, I think I am going to try to get the lfs to take that filter back and credit me towards a new one since their bad info is why I bought it

You could get a overflow box or have your 20 gal drilled and use the 10 gal as a sump that would incress your total water volume and make your system more stable.

I thought about that but I don't know if I can find room and I think I wanna use the ten gallon as a qt setup. Still an option but would prolly like to use a smaller filter method

In any tank less than 40 gallons or so you don't need any kind of external filtration. 2 pounds of live rock plus weekly water changes are more than enough.

So I wouldn't even need a filter? I clean out the foam pad about once a week, switch the carbon every three and haven't changed the bio balls yet

I don't run a filter on my 28 and it's been up for a year now. Occasionally I run filter floss and carbon but a majority of the time it's just water changes.

Back