Best canister filter

I would look into a skimmer myself personally. Seems like a lot of extra cleaning to keep a canister filter from being a nitrate factory.

Canister filters are really a freshwater technology. You're better off with a quality skimmer. Reef Octopus is a great company.

A skimmer will actually remove waste and undissolved particles from your water column whereas a canister filter just traps them but the water still flows through the canister so the undissolved material still contributes nitrates and phosphates to your water. In saltwater tanks, your live rock (1-2lbs per gallon) serves as the biological filter, the skimmer serves as your mechanical filter, and if you ever need it you can run chemical media such as carbon or granular ferric oxide (GFO) but a lot of people feel this pulls to much good stuff out of the water and simply isn't necessary to run all the time. You will actually be better off just running a skimmer and not a canister - the canister becomes a nitrate factory and contributes to problems in saltwater tanks.

Most reefers do not use canister filters because they tend to lead to poor water quality unless they are cleaned often -- more often than most of us care to do. Protein skimmers is the standard type of filtration for saltwater tanks. A skimmer is better than a canister filter, and some times, nothing at all is still better than a canister filter.

For Salwater? None. You're better off using a reactor for running things like carbon, they're way cheaper than a canister filter.

You would be much better served with live rock and a good protein skimmer

I use a Penn-Plax Cascade Cannister 700 for my 44gal. saltwater. I've gone through 2 cannisters in less than 2 yrs. It always ends up leaking badly before the end of the year and that's maybe because they are more for freshwater tanks (possibly salt/sand build up in motor causing it to break down?) It works great initially with regular maintanance but will break down quick eventually. To keep my nitrates/nitrites down I scrub my bio floss pad once per month with a toothbrush and while at the same time rinsing the floss out in saltwater. I also change out the other filter pads once per month. the hoses have to be scrubbed internally every 3-6 months and using the "marine clean" will help keep build up of wastes down.

I am looking at switching to a sump after chating with friendly folks on this website. They have been very helpful with their input. You can look at my thread titled "Cannister filters for Saltwater" under "Lighting, filtration, and other equipment"

Back