PRC's New 180g Build

Sorry to hear about your sps corals. Hope some of the chunks do grow back. Is this a bare bottom tank or are you going to add sand later?

Your set-up looks good, PRC! Sorry about some of your SPS, but I'm glad the fish made it. I think 180 seems like the perfect size tank. Perhaps I'll upgrade one day...(in the distant future that is) :Cheers:

Your wish is my command OhNO.

A couple things that I didn't mention in the video.
1. I use CFL bulbs.
2. When you first install the scrubber, you'll notice growth after about a week. The first growth will be brown (more than likely)..clean it...Even if you don't think it should be cleaned, clean it every 7 days. use a stiff nylon brush and take off 90% of the algae on the screen.
3. I also don't have the connections on the scrubber glued...that way I can remove the entire pipe to clean it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2aOBMhbmhY]YouTube - Video 51[/ame]

Last edited:
Dude, awesome vids! :D

I can't wait to move into another house. A fish room is going to be my main requirement. :lol:

Thanks,it seems almost too simple...:mrgreen:

Like I said in the video...I keep it simple. It's all I've ever used and I've never had an issue with cyano, algae of any short, big swings in my parameters, and I've never lost a fish or a coral because of the conditions of my tank.

I also have big fish (like you) which need to eat alot. I do regular water changes every week, but I think everyone should.

Like I said in the video...I keep it simple. It's all I've ever used and I've never had an issue with cyano, algae of any short, big swings in my parameters, and I've never lost a fish or a coral because of the conditions of my tank.

I also have big fish (like you) which need to eat alot. I do regular water changes every week, but I think everyone should.
This is why i'm going to convert to this ,they're only going to get bigger too:mrgreen:...which means a bigger tank soon:Cheers:

Here's a quick video of some overflow modifications. With the purchase of my new pump, I was asking alot of my overflow box. This is just a 3/4" piece of flex tubing from my gravel vacuum.

My overflow originally came with (2) 3/4" outlets for the overflow. It would do 600gph. In my research I see that a 1200 GPH has (2) 1" pipes. My problem was that the 1" pipes I installed would hold the capacity, but my overflow box couldn't deliver the water fast enough, so I simply added the piece of flex tubing and since it's 3/4" it's delivering approx. 300gph. I'll get a 1" piece when I get around to it, and that will deliver 600 gph.

Things to keep in mind. You want to place the pipe in the water so that if power goes out, it will stop draining. To do that, just place the part that goes "in" the tank just below where you'd want the water level to stop if you lose power.

If you do it right, when power comes back, it should automatically re-start the syphon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzmLsEVr338]YouTube - Video 52[/ame]

Wow,that is a lot more flow...did you have to raise the screen at all.....how much if any do you have submerged in the water?

No I didn't raise the screen up. The bottom of the screen barely touches the top of the water in ideal conditions...when I need to top off, I know that it needs to be at the bottom of the screen, that way I always know my salinity will be the same.

In the original video, I hadn't topped off yet, so there was about 2-3 inches of gap..Now it's running like it should. To keep it optimum, use a ball valve on the return pump pipe so that you can adjust the amount of flow going in the tank.

Very easy.

PRC great videos. Your set up is finely tuned. Watch that you don't get a shock from those scrubber lights. They look like they're sitting in water a little bit.

Back