Stag's 125 build

Your pumps not sucking air and making little whirlpools is it?
Mine used to do that at times.If the water level dropped a touch to much.

mine does that sometimes too, but with mine i get a loud screeching noise so i know what is, and that is followed by the micro bubbles, so that cause would be easy to rule out

right i was just trying to undestand exactly what you had going on. at one time i had a skimmer pouring into the same spot my return was which was the root problem to my bubbles. sponge and it was done. just trying to see if there is any more to the story. what are you planning on accomplishing with your refugium? raising macroplankton, nutrient export, nitrate reduction? there are a lot of disadvantages to adding a preditor in such environments. it can turn something that is potentially beneficial to your system into just your second fish tank.

The microbubbles are not coming from the skimmer return. That pours behind and before a sponge. I dont know where they are coming from but I know its before the split because they both are shooting them out. It might be the tower of returns isnt tight enough on the pumps. Im going to do that because thats the last thing I havnt done.

I think I might make my little tank an anemone and clown tank and thats it. Scratch the idea of the mantis in the refugium. Im going to put a DSB and LR in that and chaeto. Which means If I want to keep my little tank up and running I will need to get sand for the refugium.

so I got a rubbermaid and im putting it next to my tank for freshwater. What ATO do you guys recommend?
Im doing a water change today and probably putting in fish tuesday!

yup...fixed the microbubbles today (FINALLY). Im running an external pump.
Did my first water change and threw two snails in and they are eating up the starting alge.
I might have to invest in that ATO. I need one bad because refilling it is SO annoying. The lights look amazing!!!

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01567.jpg

It's not a sump set up that I'm use to seeing. The first section looks like a refugium. So you can start explaining from there.

Ahhhhh,I love my Lifereef sump,skimmer and fuge....I'm sure you love yours too.Definitely an ATO is a must for large tanks and the return section of the sump is pretty small.After all you spent,whats another $100.

The water actually drain from the fuge with the semi-circle in the tubing?BTW,the three cylinders option for the slots in the sump is great too.

Last edited:
The water actually drain from the fuge with the semi-circle in the tubing?
Yup... Pretty good too.

So I woke up this morning and guess what I saw...MORE MICROBUBBLES :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::frustrat::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::grumble::pooh::pooh::pooh::pooh:

this tank is going to kill me.
I think Its what I fixed yesterday but it never had teflon on it so im going to take it off and throw some teflon on it then put it back on and pray.

Maybe I can help since we are basically running ours the same.I too had bad micro-bubbles when I first set it up.

The return pump is split into two returns and one going to the fuge,right?I couldn't run the main valve wide open otherwise it was spewing microbubbles.The overflows couldn't handle it wide open either,it was burping badly.Mine is ran half open and I have a valve also to control how much flow the goes to the fuge.Maybe slowing the return will help.I still got microbubbles a bit but after a week,.it stopped completely.Possibly,the oils from the new equipment causing the bubbles.The coating of slime later on in the tubing and barb fittings,sort of a break in period for the new equipment helped stop them later maybe.

Back