1 Month old tiny baby Horseshoe Crabs.

My mother's house in in Delaware where the horseshoe crabs come from and at certain times of years its incredible how many litter the beaches and swim in the bay and ocean. I've seen baby ones in the LFS. Do NOT grab them by their tails or they will die.

they dont just come from delaware. delaware bay has the largest migration of them. they are cought in the gulf of mexico there is a species that lives in japan, india.

They will starve to death in any home aquarium....not to mention they get huge, but they will be dead before they grow for lack of food.

Dont know about starving to death I been raising them for years already. I feed them blood worms when young then start feeding them strips of clams and so on. Yes they get huge but it will take 15 years+ to become adult. You just dont place them in your tank and they grow overnight.

Last edited:
Here is a little fact about horseshoe crabs I learned on the discovery channel. There blood is blue because it is copper based not iron based. They are also collected and have blood taken to be used in the testing of vaccines to make sure there are no live virusses in the vaccine. 100% of vaccines in the US are tested with horseshoe crab blood. They are then returned back to the ocean unharmed.

I found that very interesting.

Brian

Here is a little fact about horseshoe crabs I learned on the discovery channel. There blood is blue because it is copper based not iron based. They are also collected and have blood taken to be used in the testing of vaccines to make sure there are no live virusses in the vaccine. 100% of vaccines in the US are tested with horseshoe crab blood. They are then returned back to the ocean unharmed.

I found that very interesting.

Brian

That's true I saw it on a documentary video.

Dont know about starving to death I been raising them for years already. I feed them blood worms when young then start feeding them strips of clams and so on. Yes they get huge but it will take 15 years+ to become adult. You just dont place them in your tank and they grow overnight.
I would love to see your horseshoe crab breeding setup, especially since they lay eggs out of the water and sexually mature adults are full grown and about 10 yrs old. You must have some fancy setup. Let's see some pics. :)

Some good reading here.
Limulu_polyph

Back