100 gallon

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Got a used 100g tank for $25. Of course, it has a small leak though in one of the corners and there are a couple of cracks to the frame -- one in from the front of the mid-beam to the actual frame, and one in one of the corners.

I figured I'll just maybe use it as a sump if I can find the leak. I'll just slap some silicon on it. Think it would be unwise?

My lfs is selling a used AGA 125g for $225, with 2 predrilled overflows at the corners :) and they've agreed to let me take it home now if I pay half now, and pay the rest in a month. They just want it out because they're relocating to a larger store and don't want to bring their large used equipment.

Personally, I wouldn't just slap some silicone on it....... if the tank is leaking..... that means the silicone inbetween the panes of glass has degraded... where ever the leak is...... it should be dissassembled and resealed.... without doing that IMO is a recipe for disaster.... imagine having everything all set up........ all your livestock in your tank..... and coming home to a flood on the floor and no water in your display cause the sump leaked...... I would not want to take that chance....

I'll go one step farther..... I would clean all the silicone out of the 125 gallon and reseal the inside silicone on that one too....... I have had 2 leakers in the past cause I didn't do that...... I'll never ever not reseal a used tank again!

Yeah I think we'll end up replacing the trim and redoing all the silicone. If it works out, I may just have to have another sw tankl! LOL I'll make my 125 into a fowler, and the 100 into a reef. I'm SO excited to be working on a bigger tank!! My 45g is looking empty with just the 2 clowns, firefish, and benggai. I know I can't put tangs or anything too large in there. I swear, I can never do freswater again!!

I would use the 125 for a display and make the 100 a sump for it. It would be a kick as system. Also, the display tank would stop draining once it got below the overflow. You sump however would be a mess.

Yeah, I've given my 100 gallon away...get this...I took some measurements, turns out it's just a 40g LOL I thought it looked small (esp compared to the 125). Someone wants it for use for their chinese dragons, so they don't care about the leak.

Anyway, after we thought about what we would do with the 125 as far as setup, we had decided to put all the plumbing in the next room (which is a utility room). So we're just going to use rubbermaid tubs for the sump and stuff.

The good ol fish room. Pretty soon you'll have grow out tanks, fuges,and a slue of equipment in there. Awesome, wish I had the space to do that.

Back