100gl sw tank newbie..

i bleieve they are called speghetti worms and they carry stuff to them they usually live in rocks, the pancake thing i think is a time of snail without a shell they usually fee at night, and the corals i think are a type of toadstool they close up all the time and shed so if you see a lot of mucus one day don't be alarmed all and all everythine i think is safe to keep in the tank

Those are pretty damsels.I sure hope it pulls through.As for whats wrong with him,theres really no way to know for sure.It could be internal parasites,gill problems,or even how it was caught and handled by the importers.
If it dont make it,pull the body.You dont want to risk your other animals with an ammonia spike.
Thats 3rd pic is the web of a vermentid (sp?)snail.They actually build a tube like feather dusters.Their pretty much harmless,except for the fact that the web can cause corals to stay closed up.
Yeah,thats a leather.They just seem to open up when they feel like and stay closed when they dont.Most of the time,they stay closed when their shedding.
The last pic,I cant tell.I see what looks like an asteria snail.

Google stomatella. That may be your pancake critter. If so, they are good cleaners, and you probably have a lot more than the one that you saw.

tank looks great. Hope the damsel pulls threw. As much as I dont like damsels cause of there bad attitude, that one looks nice. In case you dont know... watch out for the fox face. I have a 2 barred rabbit fish (same family) and the spines are venemous. I took a spine to the hand while moving around corals last week and it hurts real bad. Fish did it by mistake. I moved my hand into his fins cause i didnt see him. Bad mistake on my part. Just an FYI when your putting your corals in.:D

sorry for the delay, the damsel died and was taken out of the tank within 2 hours of the post. To answer no I dont have a QT. It was pretty sad, I dont know what happened he was very healthy the past days in the tank like I said I had only had him for 3/4 days prior. I was thinking about what queenangel said, anyway the foxface could have poisoned him or thats unlikely? everything else seems ok.

and wondering since the rule is 1 fish per 3-4 weeks. what about when one dies..then what? thanks people

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss! It was a pretty Damsel.
and wondering since the rule is 1 fish per 3-4 weeks. what about when one dies..then what? thanks people

If you are asking how quickly you can replace it? You should probably wait a while. The truth is that you really don't know what caused the damsel to die and therefore have no way of knowing if it is a problem that still exists. The last thing you want to do is put a new fish into a problem tank. It's like using gasoline to put out a fire. I would give it several weeks as a minimum to make sure that the problem is gone, to allow your fish to become fully acclimated, and to allow your tank to adjust to it's current bioload. If you consider the 1 fish per month rule, and that you added 5 fish within 1 month, it stands to reason that you need to wait now for your tank to catch up to the increased load you have put on it. Also realize that the more mature a tank becomes, the more beneficial bacteria you will have and the better equipped it will be to handle the increased bioload. Again, since yours is still a new tank it is more shocking to the system each time you add a new fish. Keep us posted on the other fish. Usually by the time they are lying on the sand it's too late so if you see any spots, discoloration, or irradic behavior, try to post here with pics ASAP. I wish you the best with your setup, it's beautiful. One last thought, if you do have trouble with any of your other fish, don't dose your tank with anything without fully researching it first. Most treatments are going to require that you place the sick fish in quarantine.

Last edited:
Hate to hear about the damsel.
I highly doubt the foxface stung it though.Those stingers are for when something quiet a bit bigger trys to eat the foxface.Not saying the damsel didnt get stung,just saying its unlikely.

howdy everyone it's been a second things are looking ok.. My tang seems to be very aggressive. Here is a video he always chases the foxface is this behavior normal I got a little on video
Yellow on Vimeo

he acts aggressive about 3/4 times so watch the whole video its not long less then 2 min
thanks

Last edited:
well he is being a little assertive isnt he. I had a yellow tang years ago when I did my tank in the 90s was a fo setup. Mine was fine until the end then i watched him kill three tank mates. Imo they get more aggressive as they get older. I dont think I will ever get another yellow at least not until I upgrade to a 200 + tank. Way back when in the dark ages of sw I was always told never get another yellow fish if you have a yellow tang. I would just watch him close see if he starts using that bone near the tail. If he does hes not trying to be head fish hes out for blood. Thays what my old one did. :frustrat:

if this is what your referring to..sometimes he will look like hes trying to go in reverse into him. not like shake his tail at him but will literally almost swim backwards in way towards the fox. dont know ?

That backing up into other fish is aggression. Tangs have these spikes on their sides. They back up into other fish to try and stab them with the spikes (see the little white things on each side of the tail?).

So all this is pretty natural for the tang? and am i going to have to worry about him being one of the biggest threat to the other fish and new fish?

i love how vibrant n stuff he is but if he's going to be a problem for all fish I'd rather part with him.. whatd you guys think?

exWHY,

Listen to these guys. I too am a month into a build. They have been a tremendous asset to my new project and I value their opinion above ANYTHING I have heard at my LFS.

Go Slow, and if these folks give ya advice, you can pretty much take it to the bank!

Good looking tank Sir! And Good Luck!

Dane

i have never had a yellow tang that acted like that i am wondering if it is because the fox face kinda looks like a tang? but i would choose one and get rid of it. does the tang do that to any other fish?

Back