100gl sw tank newbie..

I had a large Purple Tang that was aggressive towards me every time I put my hand in the tank and came close to his cave area. He cut me three different times pretty deep and about 1/4" wide. He was a mean bastard.

ouch! i didn't know tangs could cut people. My daughter was watching me rearranging some rocks last night and I though a rock cut me when I put my hand toward a popular area where the fishes hang out. My daughter told me that the blue hippo tang "bite" me, but I thought I probably just hit something sharp on the rock. I was bleeding for quite a bit!

A couple of weeks ago,my Atlantic Blue got me.1 1/2" cut,surprised the crap out of me cause he'd never been aggressive toward me before.

ouch! i didn't know tangs could cut people. My daughter was watching me rearranging some rocks last night and I though a rock cut me when I put my hand toward a popular area where the fishes hang out. My daughter told me that the blue hippo tang "bite" me, but I thought I probably just hit something sharp on the rock. I was bleeding for quite a bit!
they have spines in their tale that are as sharp as scalpels and they arent afraid to use them

howdy all well after reading all this, he's so beautiful but id like to have a variety of fish without worrying about then getting bullied.so i think im going to part with the yellow tang. are all tangs that aggressive yote you mentioned an atlantic blue attacking you so maybe yeah they are? thanks again :frustrat:

Like Biff said,Koles are supposed to be the least aggressive.But even they can be pretty aggressive.But a lot of the aggression comes from the tangs instincts to protect their algae patches.In the wild they spend a lot of time chasing other herbivores.So it stands to reason that they would try to do the same thing in our tanks.

Back