12 Galloon Nano Struggling

suchin

Reefing newb
I know that the smaller the tank, the more difficult to keep an equalized environment, but I have had horrible luck with this 12 gallon nano that has been set up for 6months. Nothing in it lives, I finally got my slime algae to subside, but I can't even keep a green clown goby alive or some simple polyps. My salinity is 1.023, temp 81 degrees, nitrate, ph, ammonia, all in check.

I have a dsb about 5in and about 16 lbs of live rock. The tank has 4wts p/galloon. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong.

Filer media consists of activated carbon, bio balls. the tank has excellent water flow as well.

Someone please throw me a bone here.

-Suchin

If you got bio balls I doubt everything is in check. What are all of your perameters? Do you have anything moving the water around for airation, if so what?

Hi Suchin and welcome. Your salinity and temp sound fine, but have you noticed large temperature swings throughout the day, or does it always stay within a couple degrees of 81?

If you have algae problems, there is something about your water that is not right. Can you provide us with your parameters (pH, nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, alkalinity, at least). Phosphates will cause algae blooms too, have you tested for phosphates?

What kind of water are you using? Tap water? RO water? If tap water, do you treat it before you add it to the tank?

If nothing else, you may just have a bad test kit, which is all too common.

What kind of light is it? Is your tamp staying the same? Is the tank by a door or window that will effect the temp of the tank?

Also how often do you do water changes? How long are the fish living? If your using tap water you could have copper lines.

I would test for copper. I wouldn't try coral until I could successfuly keep a fish for a few months.

How many fish have you tried?

Did they all come form the same store?

Did you properly acclimate them?

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the quick responses. Since yesterday's thread. I have taken a couple steps to try to isolate some causes for the problems. I will keep a watchful eye over it in the following week.

To begin with, I may need some more accurate testing supplies to examine my PH, nitrate, phosphorus, ext. Al suggestions for testing products are welcome.

To answer some of your questions, the temp doesn't seem to fluctuate. I am testing for nitrate, ammmonia, PH, salinitiy, the temp stays consistent, and I have a polyfilter (white spongy physical fitler media), and I use a bag of chemipure. Currently my filteration consists of DSB, live rock, adn the chemipure and polyfilter. All other filter media has been removed. THis is how I plan to isolate certain components.

In the past, I have lost two clown fish, and a baby tang-3 to 4 months ago.

I recently put a green clown goby in to see how he does. It doesn't look like he's eating though.

Ideas?

Ok before you go and buy new test kits have your lfs check it for free to see if yours are bad, also have them check the salinity. When I first set my tank up I had high salinity becuase my brand new hydrometer wasnt any good and gave a reading of 1.021 when it really was 1.026, so have them check that to. Why are you using chemipure? How long did the clown and tang last in your tank. When you get this figured out and go to restock your tank please dont add any tangs to your system, no tang should ever go in a 14 gal. The smallest tang is a yellow tang and it gets 8 inches and needs a min tank size of 55 gal and alot of people argue that they need more room than that.

What are you feeding the goby? It is a carnivore and you should feed it brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, table shrimp, and frozen food preperations for carnivores.

bobby said:
Ok before you go and buy new test kits have your lfs check it for free to see if yours are bad, also have them check the salinity. When I first set my tank up I had high salinity becuase my brand new hydrometer wasnt any good and gave a reading of 1.021 when it really was 1.026, so have them check that to. Why are you using chemipure? How long did the clown and tang last in your tank. When you get this figured out and go to restock your tank please dont add any tangs to your system, no tang should ever go in a 14 gal. The smallest tang is a yellow tang and it gets 8 inches and needs a min tank size of 55 gal and alot of people argue that they need more room than that.

Thanks for the quick response. i will go the the lfs and see if there results are similiar to mine checks. In repsonse to your question, I'm using chemipure because my LFS store said it coudl be help filter out and toxins that could of possibly been introducted to the system inadvertantly. Do you think this is a bad step to take?

Yeah, the tank was an impulse buy. It was soo small that I figured I would try it. It was my mistake.

Thanks,

Suchin

also, I'm tried feeding the goby mysis shrimp, dried brine shrimp, pellets, and bloodworms. none of them have seen apetizing to the goby.

I dont know about chemipure i have never used it, I dont think it would hurt anything unless its been in there too long and leaching the bad stuff back in to the tank. How long has the goby been in there? If hes still new he might just be getting used to it. How long did the clowns live? How are you aclimating the fish?

Are you doing water changes? If so how much and how often? Did the fish die after a water change? If so you might be doing too big of a change or not having the water the same temp or ph , and that might be hurting them.

bobby said:
Are you doing water changes? If so how much and how often? Did the fish die after a water change? If so you might be doing too big of a change or not having the water the same temp or ph , and that might be hurting them.

I do water cahnges about once a month, between 20-25%. I usually don't focus on testing all of the parameters of the new water prior to adding it. I used to have a 40gal and didn't need to be so careful with additions. I will keep that in mind. Also, the chemipure is new and from what I understand, just seems to be a glorified activated carbon. I woudl be surprised if that is causing any adverse affects.

3 gal a month shouldnt hurt unless the perameters or tamp are off alot, however 10 % every week or two weeks would be better. IMO If the chemipure is new I wouldnt think it would be a prob.

I highly doubt it's the Chemipure. I've used that in my tank before when I've stirred the substrate up, and it works really well. Do you use tap water for water changes or do you buy or make RO water?

i'd suggest more frequent smaller water changes. on a tank with no other means of nutrient export, water changes will help to dilute the bad stuff. also pick up this book Amazon.com: The Nano-Reef Handbook: Books: Chris R. Brightwell

great book. the only part i don't quite agree with is the authors blanket statement that all nanos need skimmers. good frequent water changes should be good enough for a tank this small. do about 15-20% per week.

also check out this article. It's an article about pico's but most of the information applies to nanos as well. HTH. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_4/V4I1/small_world/It's_a_Small_World.htm

Last edited:
Back