150 or 250 Watts?

Epos

Reefing newb
I have a 26 bow sps tank. I'm currently running a set of T5's on it and everything's growing well, however, as soon as a put a new acro in it immediately browns down. So i'm looking at buying either a 150 or 250 watt HQI Metal Halide Viper Light. I plan to put a 14k Phoenix or a 20k radium bulb in it (double ended). I'm all about overdoing the equipment on my tank and i'd love to put a 250 watt over it but i'm afraid it might be a bit much and bleach my acros. All help appreciated.

I think your lights, if they are T5HO, have nothing to do with the coral browning out. T5HO's are plenty of light. Have you checked your phosphate levels?

sorry..... have to disagree.

yes, it's only 26g. however this tank is 21" deep.

I honestly think that if you're planning to do SPS, you will regret the 150w. Do some google searches to see what other 26 bows are doing, the couple I saw on nano-reef were using 250w's, one reported that the 150w was browning corals.

as for bleaching.... you should be fine as long as you're not running a 10k bulb.... but just to be sure i'd use screen door netting over the tank for a day or so...

Yes, a 250W is hotter.... wish I knew the bulb temps to put it in perspective.... this tank is sumped, right? (it is an SPS tank)

I haven't checked phosphate levels, but i doubt it's that, i do 1-2 20% water changes per week and i've never had phosphate problems in any other tanks i've set up running the same water out of my tap.

I also have no algae problem, and the lower light sps corals that I have are holding their color and growing great.

No fish yet, just some serpent stars and snails. I also checked my phosphate levels at work today and they're at 0. That's only inorganic phosphates but like I said, I really doubt it's phosphates because I've never had any algae problems. Also, we have a large tank at work with 6 T5's over it and every SPS we put in brown's out. Think i've decided on 150 watts.

No fish yet, just some serpent stars and snails. I also checked my phosphate levels at work today and they're at 0. That's only inorganic phosphates but like I said, I really doubt it's phosphates because I've never had any algae problems. Also, we have a large tank at work with 6 T5's over it and every SPS we put in brown's out. Think i've decided on 150 watts.

Could it be other water quality issues that have caused them to die? :question:

He's not killed any YET ( :mrgreen: ) Dcan.:D
Epos,your still burning the bulbs from the store right? Those are the cheaper bulbs.
So that could be causing the problem.I dont know that for a fact,but its a thought.

Either way, I think it's time to get a halide over this thing. And a Calcium Reactor! I did my bi-daily test today and it went through 3dKH!

Back