1g Amphipod Tank Has Been Born!

Well they are going to need water movement, you are going to have to feed them, do water changes etc .. Just like any other tank. They wont need much light though.

But it is much much much harder to keep the water stable in a small system than a larger tank. You are going to have to top your tank off every day and be much more vigilant about it. Smaller doesnt mean its easier.

thank btw is Copepods the 1nd Evolution and Amphipods is the 2nd Evolution ? beucase when i added a "copepod" bottle to my tank with no amphipod in it then later on about a month later i found few amphipods

Umm .. . those evolution things were for games and tv shows, it doesnt work that way in real life.

But the amphipods probably hitch hiked in on some live rock.

8 Watt lighting for the Ulva and some chaetos
(my pant is in the background lol)

5440739328_65b0d1da07.jpg

and this is for full shot of the lighting
(my hand look cubby :frustrat:)

5440136057_a476e5ea3f.jpg

Use a sponge filter in your tank. It will move the water and clean it at the same time:

Ista Hydro Bio Sponge Filter

IMO a HOB filter will be way too much movement in a 1 gallon amphipod tank. Also, the pump will cause a lot of pod deaths.

I keep mine in a 1/2 gallon jar with a small sponge filter and macro (chaeto and ulva), no heater and low light. I've read that they need at least 8 hours of a very dark night cycle or they have trouble breeding.

If it is a display tank, maybe you would like to add in some volcanic red shrimp? They are compatible with amphipods and a lot more fun to watch because they are actually out and about during the day.

good luck, looks like a fun build.

C

Why not just build a refugium and plumb it in line with your tank? That'd probably be easier maintenance and feed your tank with pods.

nah i like my way better so how long do i need to keep my lighting on?

I keep mine in a window, no light except for natural sunlight. I make sure they get at least 8 hours of dark and they reproduce just fine for me. I also feed very lightly; a small pinch of food once or twice a week.

C

Back