2 questions

scubacane

Reefing newb
1. One of the arrow crabs which I caught diving 10 days ago has somehow lost one of its claws. Not exactly sure how it happened. Both crabs are small and tend to stay at opposite sides of the tank. I have a clown but it doesnt appear to bother the crabs. I did find an unexpected guest in one of my live rocks- a quarter sized light beige crab with brown pinchers- I have been giing him bay scallops periodically and he stays hidden away deep in his rock but I suspect him most probably. My understanding is that if I can keep him alive the crab should regenerate his pincher. True or not?
2. I have a BTA against the advice of most people- 4 watts/ gallon. It appears very healthy, green tentacles, stays in one spot and is readily taking a bay scallop every few days - will this work or am I doomed to fail?. I am doing twice weekly water changes of 5 % each and SG consistently 1.024, 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

1 I do believe stressing a crab will make his claws pop but i am not sure . I think it will grow back.

2 . 4 watts per gallon is hardly enough light for a nem . sorry
while you may be sustaining it with food... it is going to MOST LIKLEY die a slow death
But again I have seen stranger things .

My blue Regal has beat the odds several times over!

The claw should grow back. I also believe that it may have been the hitchhiker crab.

Three reasons why your anemone is probably dying a slow death. A) not NEARLY enough light, B) it's in a biocube, and C) your tank is only a month old. They usually don't do well unless they have about double that amount of light, a lot of space (since they are extremely sensitive to water parameters), and are in an established tank that's at least 10 months old.

Keep in mind, the BTA may be doing well now, but when they get sick and/or die, they will wipe your entire tank out with it within hours. Especially one that's small like yours.

Your arrow crab will regrow its pincher.Thats not a problem.

Your BTA on the hand,is probably going to be a problem.
Because once it bleaches,your going to have to feed it every day to sustain it.Even then it will be severly stressed,and like Biff stated.When it dies it will compromise every thing in your tank.

Back