20-25 gallon filtration??

felixfish

newbie reefer
We went to the LFS last night, which i am getting some hyper color orange, and green zoas to get attached to a round rock of my'n! Anyway they have a tank that is for sale with everything. Tank (20-25g), double bio-wheel filter, heater, rocks, some large kenya trees, PC fixture, and stand for 175. Since i'm only familiar to larger tanks, would that bio-wheel filter be fine, if the filters were changed once a month? What kind of water changes would i want to do? Would a wet/dry sump tank be a choice down the road? We were wanting to just set it up at the office where my wife and I work, which is a double bonus being able to expsense supplies, and mess with it.
Thanks.

I honestly have no idea, however I can tell you I run my 30 gal on nothing but powerheads and a skimmer. It was weekly WC in the beginning but now that everything is stabilized honestly I do a WC about once a month, my biggest thing now is just adding water.

That's probably too much for that setup, you could put a setup together yourself for much cheaper. Also, that bio-wheel filter will become more of a problem down the line with nitrates (I know from experience). And wet/dry systems aren't that popular with reef tanks. I'd pass on it, and build your own tank. :)

hmm, ok. I had sent an email over to him offering 150$ cash for the set up. The only thing is, is that is the best LFS around here to get the materials i need with setting up a tank. If we do get it, i'll look into a decent skimmer for it. Thanks

Well we ended up picking up the 20 gallon tank for 150. I made them throw in a heater, filters, and thermometer. Came with 2 medium xenias, which i'm still hearing about it that one conveniently made it to my 55 gal at home ;-) This is set up at my wifes office so I'll be able to mess with it on the clock :-) The stand was a scuffed up brown wood, so we just threw some black paint on it.

Attachments

• tank new!!.jpg
    tank new!!.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 824
  • snail and coral new tank.jpg
    snail and coral new tank.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 763
I picked up a Korilia evo nano off dr. foster and smith this am. The question I have now, is I added one rock of the xenia to this 20 gallon which look stretched up and loving it, and the other in my DT at home on my 55 gal and they are barely coming out of there pods? First time I tried adding pulsing xenias they died pretty quick. Crap.

Back