29gal seahorse tank in the making...

Smitty

Reef pro
Hello all...I asked the wife if I should do an anemone and clownfish tank or seahorse and she said that she always wanted seahorses...so I get to set up another tank, and let her think I'm doing/giving it to her:mrgreen:

I recently broke down my 55gal fish only tank(to focus more on the reef) and traded in the last of the fish today to my lfs, in an attempt to maintain a seahorse tank...so I pulled out my 29gal marineland eclipse system and away I go...

O.k., enough talking...here's the start up pics.

The empty 29gal
P7130001.jpg

P7130003.jpg

P7130005.jpg

I added a bag of this stuff and combined it with about 30lbs of the rock from my 55gal FO...10gal of the water from the 55gal and the rest new water from the lfs

This is the type of protein skimmer I'm using for the 29gal...I bought it awhile ago...it's kinda garbage, but it'll do the job.:D It does foam up pretty good, so it's a keeper.
p_511883_14045Z.jpg

Seahorses are awesome good luck with them and make sure you buy ine that are already eating. Pipefish would be badass too.

i've always wanted pipefish and sea horses :) they are so cool!! I can't wait until i finally have the guts to get some :)

go with a pipefish too! they are BOMB

Very cool Smitty! It will be fun to watch your Seahorse tank progress. I've always wanted Seahorses and Pipefish too. The only thing that has stopped me was going on vacations. I think Seahorses need to be fed at least 2 times a day with enriched mysis shrimp. I never thought I could get a house sitter that would do that!

Thanks Dcan...all morning i've been transfering pods from my reef(they're everywhere in there) to the new tank...that way when I do finally buy the seahorses, there should be lots of pods in there already for them to eat. That way I will not have to worry about the mysis shrimp feedings everyday and messing up water quality.

Looking good. I wish I could aquascape like some of the folks on here.
I would hook up a fuge some how. That way there will be a constant supply of pods for them to eat. I would think that a couple of sea horses could clean the tank out of pods rather quickly.

Brian

Looking good. I wish I could aquascape like some of the folks on here.
I would hook up a fuge some how. That way there will be a constant supply of pods for them to eat. I would think that a couple of sea horses could clean the tank out of pods rather quickly.

Brian
I'm gonna do another diy fuge like I did in my reef

How about different plants in the actual tank?
Also someone on here has a Seahorses tank. Maybe some pointers from them. Not sure who, maybe picasso?

Good idea, Smitty. How big is that fuge. Details, please.... did you make it?

Yep, I bought one of those large plastic transport containers from the lfs that they use to put fish in before bagging it, and drilled several holes all around it. Then placed 2 small pieces of rock and cheato and grape calp inside, and voila...hundreds of pods. Its doing very well, pods are everywhere and the cheato is growing a lot thru the little holes so the tang and foxface can get to it.

How about different plants in the actual tank?
Also someone on here has a Seahorses tank. Maybe some pointers from them. Not sure who, maybe picasso?

I have been doing a lot of researching and will be placing diff plants in there also...and yea, you're right, picasso does have SH's, but she's been m.I.a.

You're right, I'm gonna just build the entire tank to almost resemble a fuge...that way the SH will have live food all the time and several plants and things to hitch themselves to. Maybe look like a tropical rainforest, only underwater.

Can't wait to see it. If you are successful it may inspire me to turn my Red Sea tank into a corral. I had dwarf seahorses as a kid and have always wanted to get the bigger ones. Where do you plan on buying them?

Back