3 striped damsel needs a home in MA

CrabbyAbby

Reefing newb
Admin, please relocate if misplaced.

I'm looking to find a home for what I believe is a 3 striped damsel fish, and I'll give you what history of it I know so you know what you're getting into.

It belongs to my BIL who has problems keeping fish and blames them on the only one he has left. He believes salt water fish live off the algae and healthy bacteria in the tank and should not be fed more than 1-2x a month and to feed them disrupts that cycle. The tank, decor and walls are black and to see the fish through the glass is not possible; you must lift the lid.

When I visited last I sneaked in a pinch of food and the fish couldn't gobble it up fast enough. I suppose it's possible that the fish is aggressive as Ted claims and I'll admit that I don't know what he had for tankmates or whether they were passive or smaller than he was but considering the tank's condition and my BIL's feeding habits I think it's more likely that the fish succumbed to their conditions or starvation and the damsel has nothing to do with it. If it was responsible, it's situational aggression and the will to survive.

He's fed up with his losses and the recent disappearance of the damsel's last 3 tankmates have led Ted to announce his plans to flush it. He agreed to turn it over to me bc I misled him into thinking I would set up a reef tank. I don't have the means or knowledge to give the fish a proper home and he deserves someone experienced.

Anyone willing to take on a beautiful, possibly aggressive, thought to be 3 striped damsel 2-3" in length? I live in north east MA, minutes from the NH border.

On behalf of the little guy, thanks for any help, info or offers.

Hi Kennedy,
Physical appearance doesn't indicate so. It swam upright, fast and spot on for food, no discoloration, tumors or other signs of distress or illness. I was really hoping to find it a home rather than return it to a store just so whoever took possession of it knew what they were getting themselves into and could take appropriate steps rather than lose treasured fish due to lack of knowledge of his background.

CrabbyAbby - you can also try craigslist I got rid of three damsels on craigslist in three hours :) Acutally made money on it.

I don't trust Craigslist. I'm afraid it will become feed for something.

Looks like no serious bites here. Pun intended. I'll have to look into an LPS before he sees the inside of a sewer pipe.

sorry, with work being nuts the next couple of weeks (another 60 hour week), I don't think i can drive out there, but I'd take him.

Back