30g Lighting

adampw

Reefing newb
Hi,
I just started my first saltwater aquarium. So far all I have in there is my live sand. I am getting ready to order some live rock from marco rocks. My question is if this(Odyssea 24" 130W Power Compact Light) would work for what I want to do.
eBay: Jebo Odyssea 24" 130W Power Compact Light System NEW (item 4374830135 end time Feb-07-07 15:49:59 PST)

I am looking at just live rock for the moment with some blue tangs, and clown fish. I will have some cleaner fish and eventually get some invertebres.
Thanks
:)

yep should do fine in the future if your wanting to add corals you may end up having to photoaclimate them but that lighting will work.

If your not going to add corals or anemones you can use just a standered strip light for your tank. If you are adding corals then that light will work for alot of easy one, however, if your adding anemones I dont think that will be enough.

Those are itelligence lacking sea creatures anyways Ive lost 2 swore them off. I can have the same look in my tank without the hassle of it going for a haircut. Who knows you may like them, they may work for you. Mine were always suicide fanatics.

Thank you for the quick replies:) Yeah I am not too sure about anemones quite yet. I have heard they can be extremely hard to keep and require a rediculous amount of light for photosynthesis. So exactly what is photoaclimating?

the process where you start corals out at the bottom of your tank and move them up as they progress to give the a better % of wpg without burning them.

I didnt know you was supposed to photoacclimate? Will actually I thought that was for using MH. I got 192 watt PCs on my 30 abd love em

I would not go with anything that is made by Odyssea if you look around the web you will find tons of people who made that mistake!!!!!

squibley2 said:
I would not go with anything that is made by Odyssea if you look around the web you will find tons of people who made that mistake!!!!!

I bought some Jebo 24" pc and they outlasted Jellymans corallife lights. In fact I gave him my jebos and he is still using it today.

adampw said:
Hi,
I just started my first saltwater aquarium. So far all I have in there is my live sand. I am getting ready to order some live rock from marco rocks. My question is if this(Odyssea 24" 130W Power Compact Light) would work for what I want to do.
eBay: Jebo Odyssea 24" 130W Power Compact Light System NEW (item 4374830135 end time Feb-07-07 15:49:59 PST)

I am looking at just live rock for the moment with some blue tangs, and clown fish. I will have some cleaner fish and eventually get some invertebres.
Thanks
:)

I would get lights that stretched all the way across the tank. Isn't a 30 gal
30" long?

jermpool said:
I would get lights that stretched all the way across the tank. Isn't a 30 gal
30" long?
The tank is 30 inches long but the bulb it takes is 24 inches. So wouldn't that be a 24 inch light setup when looking at lighting systems? the next size up is 36 inch which would be too big for my 30g

Last edited:
I'm sorry I didnt see this before, but your tank is a 30 gal you should not add any tangs to that size tank. I believe the smallest tang is the yellow tang and it needs a min of 55 gal, though some would say an even bigger tank is needed. The blue tang on the other hand gets up to 1 foot long and the min tank for it is 75 gal, however, I wouldnt even put it in a tank that small. Tangs are fast fish and need plenty of swimmg room. With a 30 gal (like I have) I would stick with smaller fish, ones that dont get over 4 in or so. The clowns are a good fish for that tank. The best thing you can do is research the fish and inverts you want to add before you do so, if you were to add a tang or tangs they would be very stressed and probably not have a very long life span. Remember the more you add the harder it will to keep the tank clean. In my 30 I have 1 damsel 2 clowns and 1 goby, and for the mean time I might have too much in there.

adampw said:
The tank is 30 inches long but the bulb it takes is 24 inches. So wouldn't that be a 24 inch light setup when looking at lighting systems? the next size up is 36 inch which would be too big for my 30g

They do make a 30" fixture.

Hey jelly where did you find the one you were looking at?

Sun pod makes a 30 in light. Here is a link for a used on for sale in st louis. The guy who owned this lost everything to a power outage and is getting out of the hobby, hes asking 250. but I know for a fact he only paid 230. so you can probably get him down to 200 or so. If your intrested give him a email at [email protected] The lnk is Reef Central Online Community - Price list for items.... Also the light is only about 5 weeks old or so. I bought some coral off of him about 2 months ago or so, before he lost everything and was tellin me about his new light then, and told me he only paid 230.

Last edited:
I dont know much about the brand. What are the watts? What type of inverts are you wanting to keep?

Ok I just looked at the watts, it is 130. You can keep softys, and I think some sps, but no anemones. Before you buy any inverts post what you want and some one will be able to tell you if they will be good with those lights.

Back