48 inch marineland pro light

tlsims

Reefing newb
I am new here, I am ugrading my lights on my 55 gallon to support corals, dont know what corals I want, but want my options open to anything since i can be quit the impulse shopper.

do you think this light- marineland pro
48 Inch Marineland Pro Light Fixture
would be a good choice, its quit expensive but i like it cause it only has one cord, built in timer but was wondering if there is a better deal out there or if this light is even any good/ worth all the
chi-chang?

Hello and welcome to the site...that light on your 55gal will allow you to keep any type of coral you want to. You may be able to find a better deal on something else, but to answer your question...Yes, its a great light.

+1 Smitty, you could definitely IMO find something comparable cheaper, perhaps a 6 bulb T5 setup etc. Not sure, would have to look around, but again that light will will do you corals fine.

Thanks guys! I am going to look around a bit longer but i am really leaning towards this one now since i know it will support anything that may want to get. i have saving for 2 years for a new light and since today is my anniversary hubby said he will pick up what i am short :).... i'm takiing advantage of that lol. he likes the fact it only has one cord cause he is sick of trying to find a open elec socket in the house

IMO, that light would be overkill for a 55 gallon tank. I think you may experience problems with your water getting too hot, and lower light corals would have a hard time making it in the tank.

You are also going to run into problems because a standard 55 gallon tank is only 12 inches wide. That light is 16 inches wide -- it's just not going to fit using the legs provided, and if you tried, it'd be unstable. You could hang it, but you'd be getting a lot of light outside the tank because the light is larger than the tank.

Once I save a little monies I want to order this light for my tank. I would go with the 8" one, I think 4 T-5 bulbs, 2 blue, 2 daylight, then add a moonlight led strip.
About $300 for the whole deal. Unless of course you really want those MH bulbs. Thats a lot of extra money you could spend on a lot of cool corals.... Maybe you might like a sweet Tek light-6 bulb, I can maybe get one slightly used, about 2 months old.

Biff has a point, I have a 55 and the max I want to go is 8" wide with a light, you still need to get in there once in a while.
Aquarium Lighting for Freshwater and Reef Systems: Nova Extreme Compact SLR T-5 Fixtures

That light is 12" wide, the same as your tank. I can tell you right now my light is 8" deep, front to back and its about as tight as I want to get, but thats up to you. Otherwise a very good light. With that one you can add your own timers...The Nove light should do all the corals you may want. Some sps's may need more light, but then again sps need really good established water.

That's 6w a gallon I would say yeah anything you want to keep you could.

I use a Nova Extreme T5 4x54 on my 55g. I have enough room to slide the light back a bit and I can do what I need to in the tank. But I'm limited a bit (depending on who you talk to) on what corals I can keep.

Last edited:
I don't think you're limited at all, Bluespace. I had that same light over my old 55 and kept anemones, clams and SPS with no problem.

Do not buy it.

I have the same light, 72" version. it has been NOTHING BUT A PROBLEM. I couldn't even use my $1400 lights for 3 months. The legs are extremely flimsy-- they go on the sides of the tank, so it would actually fit your tank. My leg actually completely broke off. They did not have hanging kits for it at the time. several weeks later, they finally got a hanging kit made. It sucks the big one, too. They only adjust about 3" vertically, and you can't separate the strands so the studs in your ceiling have to be placed exactly right relative to your tank to hang it. In addition, their first round of lights didn't have the hanging kit holes tapped correctly. I had to wait 3 months to get a technician out here to take my lights bac to his shop and redrill the holes.

THESE LIGHTS ARE A NIGHTMARE! not worth it in any way. too expensive, cheaply made, shitty customer service. run away!!!

yhea i seen it was exactly the same width of my tank but i seen a hanger they make for it, although the reviews said it was not real sturdy for anything over their 24" light, i am gonna see if can make something like the hanger but with stronger poles/ support but i don't know i am afraid my cats would use it as a swing if it suspended cause there just crazy like that.

gosh picking out lights is hard if it's what i want it't to darn big for the tank.

you can't make anything for it because the screw holes are very non-standard. you can' even special order screws for it. DO NOT GET THIS LIGHT! go anywhere else!!

back to online stores uggghhhh if anyone has any suggestions please please leave me some. gotta head to bed now gotta work tomorrow.

welllllll. i was looking around on craigslist this morning and guess what? someone was selling a 125 gallon aquarium with sump etc. and i got it for $450.00, which is good cause my tang and cow fish are starting to get to big for the 55.

so is the nova extreme pro, in higher wattage and size of course, sitill a good light to get for this tank i am getting?

Back