48 inch marineland pro light

well when i bought the tank i bought the gentlemans old light he had on it, it is coralife dont know the make but it has 3 halides, actinics(sp) and moonlights, it works but i am gonna get new bulbs for it and see how it does. thanks for all your help with the light choices. if this one i bought don't work out i will get the nova light.

Hi,

I was following this thread since few days. I have 55 gallon, 48" x 13". I was in market to upgrade my lights, had power compacts with 4 65w. was looking to get something metal halide. Saw this marineland pro and my LFS also recommended it. I was concerned it being little wider than my tank. My LFS ordered it for me and matched the internet best price. anyway, I installed it yesterday. This is what I have experienced.
The light looks extremely beautiful. It is little wider but thats ok. It is very bright and my corals and aquarium are looking beautiful. The legs are steady. I like this light very much.

tlsims the light you bought with your aquarium is almost same as marineland, I think the only difference is that marineland one has digital timer on it. I think if you just replace the bulbs, you should be fine.

thanks danorx i like the light i got pretty well, i do wish it had built in timers and i really wish someone would invent a way to raise the lights when you need to get into the tank, i can reach in mine to do most stuff, but if i want to move rocks around or take something out i have to have someone help me take the light down.

yes, you are right. There needs to be some space to get into the aquarium. I was thinking about it last night when I installed that now I will have to put it down if I want to move anything in the aquarium.

Right now I am thinking about putting an wood frame etc. to make the light little higher so that I can easily put my arm in the aquarium. These lights are heavy too.

What are the dimensions of your aquarium?

My LFS has this same light that you have, same size. but their aquarium is wider, so the light is in the center and they have easy access in their aquarium from front or back.

i dont know for sure what the dimensions are i am at work right now. i am pretty sure it is 72 inches long cause that is how long the light is, i do have about 1 inch from the end of the light to the edge of the tank in the front and the light sets about 3 inches high so i can turn my arm in some pretty funky and painful positions to get inside to do most adjusting but like i said getting to the bottom of the tank or moving rocks requires me to take the light off. i am thinking about raising the light another inch or two myself but i dont want to lose any light strength. my tank is still cycling right now, after i get my livestock in there if i find it is just making things to hard then i will raise it up.

Back