55 Gallon, a new adventure!

I was going to build a frame around it, and silicone it to make it water-proof. It won't be sitting directly on top of the water though, probably like six inches or so above the water either mounted to brackets, or hanging from the ceiling. Still up in the air about it. No decisions have to be made right now because it will still be months before I'm ready for corals. I may use these fixtures while I save up for some nice LEDs.

Tank is looking good, and coming along fast...
I think I am moving at a snails pace :) he he he oh well that's what us Old Guys do..

I can't wait to see if with light and new rock/family members.

I'm not gonna put the new lights on, gonna buy the reflectors for them before and mod them a little bit so they will either hang from the ceiling or mount too the tank. Haven't decided yet. I'm months away from Corals, so the LEDs that came with the tank will do for now :p

Update: Picked up a Engineer Goby! Also found a new pet store that has a 6 bulb tf5 fixture that they were using and are willing to sell to me for like 250-300ish (Bulbs included!) And they have tons of frags there for somewhat cheap. Super excited now :)

Anthony I really think you should slow down on fish buying. Didn't you just get another fish a couple of days ago? And you're already pretty close to the maximum number of fish that should go in a 55. And that fixture is overpriced. I bought a new one for only $250.

I got Serpent Stars, the guy at the pet store said they don't add to the Bioload. And it's overpriced with the 6 bulbs included (Everywhere I look the bulbs are about 20$ each, and there is 6 of them. So that's 120$ in bulbs alone)?

Anyone have a link where they can show me a 6 bulb t5 fixture for 250 new? If that's the case I may just go new. (Thought it would be worth it to save the 120ish on bulbs, but if you guys thinks it's better to do new I'll look into it, thanks!)

Last edited:
I got Serpent Stars, the guy at the pet store said they don't add to the Bioload. And it's overpriced with the 6 bulbs included (Everywhere I look the bulbs are about 20$ each, and there is 6 of them. So that's 120$ in bulbs alone)?

Anyone have a link where they can show me a 6 bulb t5 fixture for 250 new? If that's the case I may just go new. (Thought it would be worth it to save the 120ish on bulbs, but if you guys thinks it's better to do new I'll look into it, thanks!)

I wasn't talking about the serpent stars. I was talking about the engineer goby. And not all bulbs are worth $20. Are the bulbs the stock bulbs or better ones? Most light fixtures do come with bulbs by the way.

The only other fish I've added recently was the diamond watchman, other then him, i actually took 4 fish back to my LFS to trade in cause the tank was overstocked. As it stands now, I have 7. Now I save up money for whatever type of lights I'm going to get, and frags. Also, have about 25-30lbs of DR in my 10 Gal waiting for it to become live, then I'll be setting up a mini reef tank for either a Green Mandarin or a Spotted one. The new pet place I found showed me he has three of them that all eat frozen food (He showed me while I was there :)!)

Unfortunately the spotted one is about 1-1 1/2" long, but the two Green Mandarins are like 3"ish long. I have a while before my 10g is ready for a mandarin though, and in a tank that size where I only plan on having one mandarin, I could easily populate the tank with doses of Copepods from my LFS lol. Got 30ish Lbs of DR in the 10 gal working on seeding now lol. And I'm getting a 29gal bow that my aunt was using for freshwater a few years ago to set up as a QT tank.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, found a guy out in PA who has a 48" 8 Bulb T5 HO fixture used he's selling for 125$. Trying to get in contact with him, so wish me luck!

Little update: No word back from that guy on CL :(. Picked up two Percula Clowns for my 10 G. I'll put up pics of them in a bit. Also may be adding a Yellow Tang to my tank soon (A friend is breaking down his tank) until I can find it a new home. Still on the hunt for decent lights that I like for the 55. Ted put up a link to Odyessa T5 Fixture for a really good price. Thinking about getting it.

Update: got a Pencil Urchin and a Pink Rose Urchin today. Also, picked up the tang from my friend. Looking around for a new home for him, so if anyone knows anyone in Northern NJ who has a tank big enough for, and wants, a Yellow Tang, let me know! Thanks :)

Back