65 Gallon

Ok, so it has been awhile since any update. As some of you may remember I almost didnt get this tank when my ex and I split up. I managed to get it back though, and am very happy to have it set up in my bedroom now.

For the first time I have it up and running. I set up some pipes while doing my aquascaping for a future blue ribbon eel (I have been blowing out the pipes every now and then since there is no flow through them.)

I am not please with the fact that my moonlights are on the same power cord as my T5's, as this makes it a P.I.T.A and doesnt allow me to fully utilize my coralife timer powerbar. It works great for my metal halide, but it doesnt work at all for my T5's and moonlights. I am going to have to look into a new light setup at some point.

I had a very cheap skimmer that I tried to modify and ended up breaking, so I recently added a bubble magnus NAC6, and am very happy with how well it is working already. I have also gotten rid of my cheap powerheads and purchased a couple of Koralia evolutions (750, 450). I think I should add another 750, but am not sure. I want to play around with the timers, so at night one turns off. Not sure though.

I plan on adding another 25lbs of dry rock into the tank, and setting up a refugium very soon (Slightly worried about the refugium as I dont want to mess it up), I wont take this jump until I redo my entire sump. I am going to get a larger tank as I am not happy with the size of my return chamber and how quickly the water evaporates (always a stress worried about the pump running dry.)

I am very pleased with the way things are running currently, and I plan on doing an order through Mr.Coral....going to order about 20 frags within the next month or so. I currently have 1 black percula clown (Used to have 2, but I think I added 2 females and they fought to the death :( ) 1 Dusky angelfish, I have very little CUC and it is really starting to show, I had a peppermint shrimp but he has gone M.I.A so I am convinced something has eaten him, but I am not sure what.

Hope you guys like the update, and thank you for all of your help :)

Attachments

• Bubble Magnus 6 (1).JPG
    Bubble Magnus 6 (1).JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Eeel pipe.JPG
    Eeel pipe.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 218
  • 2 Clowns.JPG
    2 Clowns.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Metal Halides on.JPG
    Metal Halides on.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 208
Im so glad to hear you ended up with YOUR tank :)

But I do hope you are willing to say goodbye to your other fish with the blue ribbon eel, they will be lunch. You are also going to need a super tight lid.

Question.....
If I dont have corals, is it crucial to have moonlights on right now? I would much rather have my timer for my T5's turning off and on at the proper time. This will buy me some time to get a proper light set up before I add in some corals.

What do you think?

So I set up a fuge finally. Trying to find some Chaeto locally, but will hopefully have some in soon. I am still not entirely sure if I did this right. I went with a sand bed of fine sand and crushed coral. I am also not entirely sure what the purpose of this is......but everyone else seems to have one, so I thought it was a good idea to try to set one up finally.

If I'm not mistaken its to battle Nitrate levels, balance Ph levels, and possibly grow copods...which I think I will miss out on since I added sand right?

Attachments

• Fuge.jpg
    Fuge.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 204
I am thinking that for my next big purchase I will buy a RO/DI unit. I have seen good reviews about purewater.com and was wondering if a 6 stage was necessary or if I should go 5 stage? Is the 6th stage a deionized stage that the 5th stage system doesnt offer? Which would be better RO, or the DI? Still pretty lost with all of this.

you want a system with both, but if you have to pick only one, go with RO. I would also purchase from a more reputable site, pure water club has horrible customer service if you have an issue.

Also the crushed coral is going to cause you issues because it traps crap, uneaten food and other junk, which just rots causing nitrate issues. And the sand will just fall to the bottom, so will have a layer of sand then the crushed coral.

Back