75 gal newb

I've been thinking alot about what to put in this tank and am hoping all you experts can help me out. Right now I have an algae blenny and definitely want alot of corals (primarily LPS and softies but if an SPS drops in my lap I won't throw it away) and a reasonably large cuc. Also, my wife will kill me if I don't have a pair of O. clowns, I would like an orange and a black and white.
The fish on my list are:
Yellow Tang
Yellow Eye Tang
Foxface
Coral Beauty
Kaudern's Cardinal
Firefish
Royal Gramma
And once my tank has matured some more, either a Leopard Wrasse or a Mandarin
Right now I know the Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Firefish, Cardinal and Royal Gramma are all available for reasonable prices at the local stores.
Not all of these of course, but if someone could let me know what would work well together.

If you want to add a pair if clowns it would be a bit on the overstocked side. I think you'll need to take a fish off. Besides that it sounds good.

I knew from the start that that whole list wouldn't fit happily in my tank. Those are just the fish that I had in mind. I don't plan on keeping both the tangs. I think I'm going to go for the yellow. And I'm still not so sure about the coral beauty. For now I'm constantly rethinking my list. I want fish that are either iconic to the hobby or really interesting. I added a yellow watchman goby tonight and I plan on getting a pistol shrimp so hopefully they will pair up. I also plan on getting a pair of harlequin shrimp. I meant to take a pic of the goby but he disappeared into the rocks so fast I didn't have a chance. We're only about half way through the month so maybe I'll still get a chance at a pic of the month shot.

Just so you know, if you plan on keeping harlequin shrimp you'll need to add live starfish to your tank as that is the only thing they'll eat.

I'm finally building my sump this weekend. What I'm planning is a 5gal bucket that will by my algae scrubber, that will dump into a 26gal tank that will be my fuge. My question is, if my whole sump is basically just a big fuge, do I even need to worry about baffles if I can just make sure my chaeto doesn't get sucked into my return pump?

Your still going to want at least one baffle in there because where your return pump is, is where you'll see the evaporation take place. If you got LR and chaeto in there you're going to want to keep a constant water level to make sure it never gets low enough to expose it to the air.

What size is your sump? I'm using a 20L for my 75 and the baffles are about 8" high, I probably could have gone a little higher with them but, I wanted to make sure I had enough room in case of a power outage.

Went to my lfs today to get my return pump and asked if they had black & white and orange o clown pairs. He said they don't normally sell them that way but before I left he put 2 of them together and agreed to hold them that way and watch them to make sure they got along until my next paycheck on the first and sell them to me for the unpaired price.

Went to my lfs today to get my return pump and asked if they had black & white and orange o clown pairs. He said they don't normally sell them that way but before I left he put 2 of them together and agreed to hold them that way and watch them to make sure they got along until my next paycheck on the first and sell them to me for the unpaired price.

Sounds like a nice place.

Yea, he's also been researching lights for me and says he's going to do his best to match internet pricing for the 8 bulb setup I want. Originally he said he'd put a nem in with the clowns but I told him I don't want a nem in my tank. I'm going to get a hammer or frogspawn and hope for the best.

Back