75 gallon reef on 2nd floor with sump!! NEED HELP!

Reefing newb
I just got a 75 gallon , and will try to turn it into a reef tank. (still gathering equipment)

Is a sump a must? I'd rather run a canister filter if possible.

I am still confused as to how a sump operates.

this tank will be on the 2nd floor, on carpet, near hardwood floor. (only choice)
I cannot in no way risk of something flooding.

Can someone explain to me, a tank with built in overflow and running a sump/refugiam, is there a chance of flooding? (Not Counting leaks coming from the actual tank)

I've always ran my 36 gallon saltwater on a canister filter, and had peace of mind since there is no chance of flooding becuase intake and outake tube is the tank.

What happens with tank and sump when power goes out??

if outtake tube from tank get clogged for some reason, all of the tanks water will flood into the sump???

I am freaking out at this point, thinking to return the tank with the overflow and get a standard , someone please help me calm down

when i turn the power off in my tank th e water goes into the sump until the over flows are exposed ...canisters are bad for nitrates and cause alot of problems

Welcome to the site...i wouldn't suggest running a canister filter on a reef tank (unless if used every once in a while for carbon). You don't "Need" a sump, I ran a 125gal for a few years(on the 2nd floor) without a sump or refugium, so it can be done.

Welcome to the site...i wouldn't suggest running a canister filter on a reef tank (unless if used every once in a while for carbon). You don't "Need" a sump, I ran a 125gal for a few years(on the 2nd floor) without a sump or refugium, so it can be done.

what did you use for filtration on the 125? was it reef?

there is other choice for filttration other than canister or sump?

I dont want anyhting hang on the back, beucase I need the tank to be quiet- near silent.

Lots of live rock(1-2lbs per gallon), 2-3 inches of sand, a few powerheads, and a hang on the back protein skimmer is what I had, and I never had a problem with that setup. My skimmer didn't make any noticeable noises neither.

Canister filters are really a FW technology and dont translate well to saltwater. Your primary filtration is live rock and sand, as well as a good protein skimmer, you can get skimmers that hang on the back, but most people with larger tanks run them in the stand, as it is a much cleaner look. When properly designed and plumed, a sump shouldn't really pose a flooding hazard

Can someone explain to me, a tank with built in overflow
Your talking about drilling your tank.

I highly reccomend Drilling your tank so you don't have to deal with keeping a Syphon with an overflow box.

Also, when ever the power goes out the tank with drain into your sump untill the return lines break Syphon. then it will just be stagnant water :)

You just have to make sure there is enough room in your sump for any "overflow" incase power outage..

Back