75G SW Tank HELP!

I'd suggest a foxface over a tang in a 75 gallon. Beautiful fish and very friendly! Mine would eat out of my hands.
They eat veggies like a tang, but have longer snouts, so are better at eating filamentous algae (hair algae) than most tangs.

Basically, if you startle them, they can sting you with their fin. It's like a bee sting.
They are fairly passive fish, and won't actively sting, only if they are cornered or surprised. They'd rather swim for cover.

Ahh cool! By the way people were describing it on the web, they were sought out to be one of the deadliest fish alive lol. But anyways, when changing water in a SW tank how many times would be ideal? I've read some change water once a week up to about 3 gallons some do less etc. Whats an ideal water change and about how many gallons for a sumpless tank? (if that has anything to do with it) And after you take the water out, do you just add the gallon(s) of water back in a say, a 1g milk jug with enough salt for each gallon?

Also would apperciate different stocking lists, or just a list of your tankmates to get an idea :) of what to put into my FOWLR tank 75g. I do plan to start with Live rock, but when i gain more experience i would love to start doing coral. Thanks again!

Stephen

If you want to do a reef, just start doing a reef. IMO some corals are easier than fish!

Also you should change out 10% of your water volume if you do a water change every week, or 20% if you do every other week.

When i do a water change, i do it in a 5 gal bucket. I put in my water and salt and then lit it sit overnight (this is important, newly made saltwater is very caustic). Then the next morning i fine tune the salinity, put in my heater and then that afternoon do a water change.

There are differing theories with water changes. With skimmers and newer filtering techniques/technologies, it's not AS vital as it used to be, but it still plays an important role in nutrient export, mineral import, and toxin dilution.

I would do 20% every other week over 10% every week - not only will you be more likely to do it, since it will be a chore you half to do half as often, but statistically, it's a more significant impact. (Since that 10% the 2nd week will be changing some of the "newer" 10% from last week)

I always make about 10% more than I need, just in case I spill some. +1 on little_fish's technique, definitely let it sit overnight. Invest in a good refractometer -way better (IMO) than a hydrometer and will save you LOADS of trouble.

I mixed mine in a big rubbermaid next to my tank with a spare powerhead and heater. If the temp is +/- 5 degrees of the display tank, it should be good. Also try to match pH using pH up/down. To fill the rubbermaid, I'd use 5 gallon jugs and count how many I filled the rubbermaid with. Then, when draining the tank, I'd just drain that same amount of 5 gallon jugs. To keep pH balanced, I can't recommend Seachem's Reef Buffer too much - it's easy and painlessly helps you keep your pH stuck at 8.3

liveaquaria.com has a great list of fish and their temperaments/limits. I really like talbot's damsels if you can find one. Open water fish, not aggressive like their larger damsel brethren, and very beautiful.

awsome thanks just bought a few more things for the tank, mostly maintence tools but a bit of everything. Got a Mag-float magnet, an algae scrubber and scrapper with the option of changing the blades, a large vaccum, a temp reader for inside the tank, a refractometer, and hydrometer for backup. I also got 2 powerheads for my 75g which are the Koralia Evolution 1400's. I also picked up (2) 5 gallon buckets for water changes. Next will be my protein skimmer which im still debating. Any input of my new toys is welcome! :)

Looks good!

The reef octopus skimmers are awesome. Skimmer are a "you get what you pay for" item. Cheap skimmers are cheap skimmers. But if you want to save your pennies, i would look into algae scrubbers. IMO, and many people on here feel different, i think scrubbers are better than skimmers.

i plan on spending around 300$ on my protein skimmer, since i am running a 75g sumpless tank. I've been looking at either the Octopus bh-2000 ;; Octopus bh-300f ;; or the Aquac Remora PRO with the Mag-5 pump. (All pumps said to be rated 120g and up) the Remora Pro with the Mag-5 comes to about 280.00 with shipping, which is the most expensive out of the bunch. I'm leaning more towards this skimmer since alot of others really enjoy it. A friend of mine also has the remora pro with Mag-5 on his 100g sumpless reef, and says it works like a "pro".

Another quick question, are there any Butterfly fish that are reef safe? or is it kind of just hit and miss? If there are, what species would be ideal in a 75g along with a Yellowtang, 2 ocellaris clowns, 3 Blue green chromis, 1 catalina goby, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

I dont know of any butterflies are reef safe. They are also super delicate and many have specialized diets that we have a hard time replicating and they just waste away in our tank. Also the catalina goby is a cold water fish and wont do well with our warm tanks.

But check out the wrasses, they come in all sorts of colors and many are reef safe. I really like the 6 line and some of the flasher and fairy wrasses.
Wrasse Fish for Sale: Cleaner Wrasse and other Reef Safe Wrasse Species

Awsome good to hear, ive done research about Tiger pistol Shrimps, and different gobys, and how they become the best of friends lol. I would love to add the 2 of them to my reef tank. I think its pretty cool how they share the same borrow.

Question: When adding your water to your tank, do you use distilled freshwater from the super market or is tap water ok? Also, for a 75 gallon tank, would you dump a whole box of salt into the water rated for a 75g? Or a little at a time. I've read somewhere online that a box of salt rated for a 75g may even be a little too much for an actual 75g aquarium.

Dont use tap, only use RO/DI or distilled. Tap is full of nasty things such as chlorine, nitrates and copper. The copper will prevent you from keeping any inverts, small amounts are fatal to them. The nitrates will fuel ugly algae growth.

And if you are filling it up for the first time i would fill it half way, add the correct amount of salt. Then add your rock after you get your salinity to the correct level and it has a change to stir over night. Then add your sand after the rocks. And then fill your tank up the rest of the way

then after i add the rest of my water, would i begin my cycling process by running my heater, powerheads and skimmer and frequent tests?

I wouldnt run the skimmer until after you are done cycling, same with the lights. But do use your heater and powerheads during the cycle. Also to start the cycling process you need to toss a piece of uncooked table shrimp in there and let it rot for a few days.

Back