A complete newbie who needs a way to start!

I've never heard that before, but I can guess It is likely a reflection of the fact they are probably in water that is toxic to them (ie high nitrates)

I haven't as of yet, chichi. I'll probably do so shortly.

Little details I didn't mention, I had a dead turbo earlier on today. Over the past couple of days, it was becoming weak and kept falling off the glass/rock. I think it was either due to my salinity (35ppm) or my nitrates. I hadn't realised water changes are what get rid of nitrates, so I conducted that today, and that was a nightmare as I didn't add any salt to the newly added RO because I wanted my salinity no higher than 1.025 as I was going to be adding fish soon as well and thought that might be affecting my inverts but when I checked it, it was somewhat 1.022. Was a little worried it had an effect on the inverts I have because they stopped moving, but I think it's all stable now and they're all fine. I think my Salinity is 1.025, but I'll check later on.

On another note, has anyone used these STC-1000 machine's? Digital STC-1000 All-Purpose Temperature Controller Thermostat Aquarium w/Sensor | eBay

They look awesome for controlling my temperature. Like I mentioned in my post to little earlier, I needed something that would control my temperature and turn on/off my heater and my little evaporating cooling fans. Should prevent failings in my heater as well as it turns the thing off completely if my tank reaches the exceeded set temperature.

I am using this controller for cooling fans, but I did wire it up for a heater in case I ever want to add one. Works great. Requires some wiring, but it was cheap and works great.

I think so, Little. I really need to invest in an R/O machine for WC's, and this is just for a 12G! Fact is, water costs do add up.

Steve, I thought it would be as simple as taking the wires of the heater/fans off the plug and sticking the wires into the back of it. Seems I was very wrong. I saw a diagram of it, hopefully I get the time to do it up, because it's definitely a good piece of kit from what it sounds like.

Hey guys, just thought I'd post some pictures. Added my second clown today and all seems well. Got the hang of this drip acclimation thing a lot better this time round. My turbo's that I thought had died are still alive, thankfully. I did a 30% WC as the drip acclimation used up a fair amount which I had to replace, so I think that helped remove some of the nitrates.

My RapidLED bulb replacement also arrived and the tank is back to looking great. I'm really glad I got this far, and by doing it properly. This really was my main goal to see if I could do it. When I joined, I knew absolutely nothing besides some of the mandatory fundamentals of fish keeping, but I think I've done fairly well in terms of learning the SW game.

Overall, I'm pretty sure I have spent over £500, just like my LFS owner told me I would. Didn't think it would be realistic, but patience pays off.

Anyway, here's some pictures. The colors and sharpness looks great on my phone, but for some reason, they decrease significantly in quality when I upload them here.

img20130308004830i.jpg

img20130308005241.jpg

img20130308005309.jpg

My next step will be to increase the CUC gradually, but only until my nitrates decrease. Probably add a couple of shrimp after my next water change. Hopefully in 3-4 weeks, I'll add a torch coral and complete my goal until the urge for a bigger tank kicks in. ;)

Throughout all this, I'd like to thank all you guys for all your help. You've been of great help to me and I couldn't have done it so easy without the advice.

Onwards and upwards!

Looks great! If I were you, I'd make my next purchase some more live rock. :)
I don't see any turbo snails. Are you meaning the astraea snails? They seem a lot hardier than the turbos in my experience. I love astraeas.

Thanks guys, it looks so much better IRL.

Chichi, I've got 2KG of LR in the sump at the back and just over 3KG at the front, so just about a pound per gallon. No, they're turbo's. Maybe they're different in other places?

I've yet to get any sand sifting snails, but the prices here are outstanding. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll do something about that.

Okay, I'm not sure if my crab is supercrab or they just live without water, but what happened was, I noticed I hadn't seen my orange electric hermit crab in a while and thought he was hiding somewhere. It had been over 48 hours and still I hadn't seen him out, so I started to get a bit of a thorough look. I had once seen him on my overflow box where my LR is just sitting on top of the rock, so I thought he may have gone there again, but after inspecting it carefully, I still hadn't seen him.

I noticed some water stains on my tank on the side where the crab usually climbs and I saw some on the table, so I thought he's probably fallen out and died by now, but I find him right in the corner of my carpet just under the table. I thought he was dead but I saw him move and quickly chucked him into the water and now he's completely fine just under the shade of the rocks.

Pretty darn surprised. Thought he would have become a raisin or something. Can they live without water or is he super crab? (please be the second one ;))

DIATOMS. Loads.

Guys, my diatoms have gone wild and taken over everything. I wanted to know, is there a bit of a weird smell to the water when you have diatoms? The water just smells.. old.

I also have this purple looking gloopy stuff on my rock - Cyanobacteria?

Shall I just wait this stuff out? Another thing, I've had some carbon in my sump for around 3-4 weeks and wanted to know if I should take that out or not.

Last edited:
Crabs can live out of water for a few days, I've found one under my bed once, which was about 25 yards from the fish tank. And you should change your carbon out, I change mine out every week. The new carbon should help with the smell of the tank.

Will do the tests tomorrow, Chichi. Had a hectic last 10 days or so.

My tank went a lot worse. The diatoms literally made a blanket over the sand. The Cyano got bad, too. It was real stringy and covered a lot of the rock. I've not been able to do any water changes as I've misplaced my refractometer and have been looking for it ever since. Will try do a thorough look for it tomorrow.

Anyway, I removed all the cyano and diatoms by hand. It was just awful to look at and the family weren't too impressed. Looks a lot better now but I can't help think that this stuff shall grow back very quickly again. I removed the 3-4 week old carbon bag, too.

Any measures I can take?

I was thinking..

Doing a 30% WC (once I find the refractometer)
Adding some fresh carbon
Adding another powerhead

Thanks amigo. Found my refractometer yesterday, which means I can finally do some WC's.

My diatoms seem to be under control since I removed them manually. They were slightly re-appearing with some brown coloration on the sand but I put filter floss just under my overflow box and changed that out every 24 hours for the past 4 days and I'll continue to do so as I think it's helping. The stringy bubbly cyano is coming back, though. Not quite sure why. There is definitely flow as it moves around with decent water movement through it. I think I seriously need to up my CUC. Only have one turbo and hermit crabs...

Will check my params later on, otherwise here's a fair few pictures. I've also got some hairy green algae stuff on the LR.

20130331203941.jpg

20130331203930.jpg

201303312038280.jpg

20130331203734.jpg

20130331203722.jpg

20130331203703.jpg

20130331203651.jpg

20130331203645.jpg

20130331203632.jpg

20130331203625.jpg

20130331203615.jpg

20130331203607.jpg

Get your water at zero nitrates and phosphates, and definitely add more CUC. Some astraea snails, cerith snails. and nassarius snails would be my suggestion :) Good luck. How are things coming along now?

Back