A couple of questions about housing micro algae

nensley

Reefing newb
What are the benefits of micro algae? Would it help with low pH and high nitrates?

Right now, I cannot get a refuge/sump. I just cannot afford it. I know someone in my other post says you can do it without a refuge/sump. So if I want to house micro algae, what exactly do I need to get? Can I get it online? Can you point me to any websites that will help?

Thanks!!

I think you probably mean macro algae. I wouldn't recommend putting it in your display as it can quickly overrun the tank. The benefits of using macro algae on a reverse daylight schedule is that it will help you to maintain higher PH because even though there is no photosynthesis going on in the main tank to drive the PH up it is still happening in the sump. Macro Algae will also help you to minimize unwanted algae because it will aid in nutrient uptake and compete with the unwanted algae for nutrients. That said, it can be very difficult to rid macro algae from the tank once it is in there so I would caution against using it in the display.

ANdy

I dont have a sump on my reef either and house it in the HOB filter another thing you could od is get the clear plastic shampoo holders from walmart with suctioncups and put it in the tank. Yes macro will help to lower nitrates and phosphates.

There's two ways to go without having a sump/fuge nensley either:

A hang on back refugium;If set on a separate lighting schedule can also help with PH as well as nitrates.
Reef Aquarium Filtration: AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium

OR a drop in fuge like Biff and Bobby said.This is similar in what they were mentioning.It may help with nitrates but since your be using the lighting form the DT,it won't do much for PH.BTW,this is not as inexpensive as there way but still reasonable.
Aquarium Refugiums: In-Tank Refugium

From what I read on other sites,either will work fine.The hang on fuge being better of the two.....good luck.

Last edited:
I have neither in my tank, do weekly water changes and have excellent Ph and low nitrates. I don't think it is necessary nor worth the extra effort.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back