a different kind of diy ato design

poolshark181

Reefing newb
i have a question about a different type of ato design that is gravity fed.

instead of having a float switch, this design would have a drilled hole in the bottom of the reservoir that is set above the sump.

this hole would be plumbed with airline tubing, probably rigid. the output of the tubing would be placed at the desired water level height within the sump.

as the water level dips below the output of the airline tubing, this would allow water to drip out until the output is covered once again.

i was wondering if this design could work, as ive seen its design used before with watering bowls for other household pets.

I'm not sure if i understand your idea correctly. What is going the stop the water from entering into the sump once the desired level is reached? If its just a air tub and nothing else, why wouldn't all of the water go into the sump? is something shutting off the water drain once the desired level is reached?

The Solana has a gravity ATo the bottoms are at water level and when it drops the water comes out to get to the proper level, the water won't flow out when it is hitting the surface

That's the tank I have.

Your idea would almost work, but there is some science behind it. the water wouldn't just drip out when the level is below the tubing, it would come out when the pressure pushing back on the tubing is less than the pressure in the reservoir. Its demonstrated in those dog and cat water bowls with the jug attached to it that refill as the animal drinks. I have no idea how to calculate the pressure but I dont think it would be very reasonable to use, you couldn't have too much water in the reservoir or it would make too much pressure... I would just use a float valve... I did and it works great.

Here are a few random pics. Its made for a cow tank and to be hooked to a garden hose. a few mods and it will work with a glass sump even.
Aquarium210.jpg

Aquarium212.jpg

Aquarium223.jpg

Aquarium207.jpg

Back