A few fish questions

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, so i was looking at the next fish for my tank. The few I was looking at were

longfin bannerfish
I think the next one was an emporer angel fish

and my friend wants me to get some Green Mandarins

I read that green mandarins burrow, how deep should my sand be for them? and how hard are they to keep?

I also heard they can be fussy eaters.

any advice is appreciated here

thanks everyone :)
Josh

forgot about these guys.

lemonpeel angelfish - will he eat all my corals?

brazillian gramma - and i dont really know anything about this fish, any suggestions?

Mandarins are cool but if you decied to go that way make sure you see them eat frozen at your LFS. They love pods but can wipe out the population quickley mine stayed in the rocks most of the time and ate frozen also. Good luck with your choice . My last bit of advice.....Research...Research...Research.....Trust me it can save you allot of money and sorrow :twocents:

sounds too true. I dont think I have a strong Pod system atm but if I can get them on frozen food that would be great :)

Ive looked up these fish on the archives but the more personal experience i get from peoeple the better :)

Stag, the angel fish is like the one in ohNoNemo's picture, you think I cant put him in my tank?

+1 on the Mandarins.
The emperor angelfish will get way too big for a 60g tank, they grow up to 15". The lemonpeel is a good choice for your size tank, they are a 50/50 chance with corals. Not all will pick at them but, you'll have to keep an eye on them when you put it in your tank. The longfin bannerfish aren't reef compatible, there are other butterfly fish to choose from that can be added with caution.

Dam, so the two next fish I was going to buy arent actually good for my tank, little bit shattered there!

the lemonpeel seems like he is a yes, the flame angel I have also seems to be a little interested in the corals.

and the mandarin I guess needs a bit more research before I pick them up.

Actually, if you have a Flame angel then I wouldn't recommend getting the lemonpeel. You are usually limited to one angel per tank, they don't get along well with other angels in the same tank.

ohhh k, i thought it was only angels of the same species that were bad together. thats another bummer lol

Stag, the angel fish is like the one in ohNoNemo's picture, you think I cant put him in my tank?

Its hard to tell what type of angel that is, but still no. Thats what pretty much every large angel looks like when they are young. Also for the mandarin its better to have a mature tank with a lot of pods, also it helps if you have a refugium.

Yea I have a refugium setup, but its still only about 2 months old. Ive been looking for a place to buy pods, but none are available online in Australia which sucks.

If im right, my LFS gave me a good amount of Cheato when i bought my tank and its sitting in my refugium right now.

Im hoping it was cheato, its green seaweed looking stuff lol.

ohhh k, i thought it was only angels of the same species that were bad together. thats another bummer lol
It's actually family or genera that shouldn't be kept together, all angels are in the family Pomacanthidae. As far as the "Large" Angels go, most need 100+ gallon tanks, there are a few that can be kept in a tank as small as 70g.

mmm, thanks for that info, im definitely glad ive asked everyone, or I might have come home with incompatible fish :S

Back