A few questions....

gthaefner

Reefing newb
Hey guys! just a few questions, can you ID this red stuff that is growing on my rock. It dosent seem to be hurting anything. Just curious as to what it is.

2449764230102238074S425x425Q85.jpg

Also my clown fish seem to be doing some sort of dance. I have a mated pair of clownfish. I introduce the 2nd one about 2 months ago, and they get along great. Every once in a while they will "twitch" together. Does anyone know what they are doing? Is this common?
Its a little blurry, but the darker orange is Skipper, and lighter is Ginger.
2593373860102238074S425x425Q85.jpg

Pic of the tank
2592092100102238074S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks!!

Some kind of red turf algae.I don't know the scientific name,sorry.

Thats common for clowns.Usually the male does it as a summissive
dance to the female.Your clowns are entering sexual maturity and figuring out which one will be the male and female.

I would love to have an anemone for them but I don't have the proper lighting right now. I really would love to any hard and soft corals and anemones but due to my budget the lighting has to wait. Actually, I have heard that you can make your own HQI light using the light from a street lamp for much cheaper. I might try that.

The biggest expense for HQIs are the bulbs.Street lights have a totally different spectrium and wouldnt do corals any good at all.They will fuel algae though.

I would love to have an anemone for them but I don't have the proper lighting right now. I really would love to any hard and soft corals and anemones but due to my budget the lighting has to wait. Actually, I have heard that you can make your own HQI light using the light from a street lamp for much cheaper. I might try that.
What is the light that you have on the tank now?

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I AM, GO WITH THE NOVA EXTREMES 4x24 T5'S ......159.00 ON MARINEDEPOT.COM

What they are doing now doesn't necessarily mean they will breed.It could still be years before this happens if at all.The fry will not survive after hatching in the main tank.You would need to remove the eggs and placed in a grow out tank.It can be costly and difficult,you would need to read up on it before attempting it.

Back