A good tankmate for a red hawkfish?

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
Got a red hawkfish, that may have killed a new fish of mine. Hes a bit spunky at times. Really fun to watch. But, had to move him to a smaller tank with my naughty banded coral shrimp and a sea urchin. My hawkfish ate a small peppermint when I added him to my tank,,,so it was definately time to move him over to the naughty tank.
What type of fish would tolerate him do you suppose? He isnt naughty all the time. He may have been hungry when I added the peppermint shrimp and it was a very small shrimp. Also a cleaner shrimp is what I found dead in the morning, and he may have not liked being picked clean of parasites. Felt threatened. So, he isnt like crazy and I dont feel he will kill everything in site. He gets along real well with the a sea serpent, black spined sea urchin and banded coral shrimp. But I just want him to have a fish to be with also. What do you think. Its a small tank. How about a green clown goby? Or some green chromis?

Hawkfish are not reef safe and it is very common for them to kill other fish, snails, crabs, and shrimp. They are ambush predators (hence the name hawkfish) and will perch and wait for something tasty to go by. Your shrimp definitely isn't safe, and neither is any fish that is the hawkfish's size or smaller. It needs to be kept with other similarly sized (or larger) predators. A goby or chromis would be lunch real fast.

Back