Acan Growth/Hardiness

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I have some extra money and was looking at getting some more exotic coral. Ive always loved acans but the price can be pretty outrageous. Since they sell for like $40/polyp, say i got like 2 or 3 polyps, is that too small of a frag to make it through shipping/introduction into a new tank?

Also, how hardy are they? What are their requirements? (lighting/flow)

And lastly, how fast do they grow?

I got three heads for $8 a head just before my lfs moved. They are very hardy and grow pretty quick. I have about 6 heads now. I don't know about shipping.

You don't need to spend $40 per polyp on an acan, unless you want to. You can get some nice acans for cheaper than that. Check out this link for example:

Acanthastrea

They are pretty hardy corals if you have the right conditions for them. They like moderate lighting and moderate water flow. Best place for them is on the sandbed. Make sure the fleshy part of them doesn't sink into the sand or they'll eventually get choked out and die. You can target feed them meaty food 1x or 2x per week, but it's not required. They can grow quickly if you feed them a lot, but that can make their polyps grow faster than they can produce a skeleton and that's not good for them.

Hiker, that first site you posted has Rainbow Acan frags for $60/frag but they dont say how big a frag is... you have any idea about sizes?

+1 Yote and Biff

Check with Knucklehead. I have bought corals from him, including an Acan, and several chalices. The chalices are growing at a much slower rate than the Acans are. And you won't find anyone that will beat his pricing on this stuff.

Here are a few things I got from him

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Acans

IMG_1989.jpg

Hot Lava Chalice

IMG_1987.jpg

Pink Speckled Chalice

All of the above were bought 02-20-10 and have growth :^:

Hiker, that first site you posted has Rainbow Acan frags for $60/frag but they dont say how big a frag is... you have any idea about sizes?

I believe that site has the frags at a per polyp price unless its listed as wysiwyg. I would email or call them and ask for sure as I've never ordered from them.

Well I just ordered an Acan frag (6 polyps) and a Blasto Wellsi frag (3 heads) from Cherry Corals... should be here 10am tomorrow, wish me luck!

Very nice corals. Hope you have good luck with them. They both do well in the same conditions. Remember to ask questions if you unsure about anything. That way if you wont run into any issues or if you do it wont be too late.

I got my order in today, and theres an extra Acan frag in there... i cant recognize what kind it is because its still closed up, but im pretty exited to find out. Ill take some pictures later tonight and post.

Back