Acan

Reef79

Reefing newb
OK here we go I have kept almost every kind of coral in the freakin ocean in different set ups over the 12+ years I've been a reef keeper my first tank was a 30 gal with a undergravel filter system and a vita light that alone should tell the tale. Recently I purchased some b grade acans from a not so lfs in there tanks they had some massive polyp extensions when I brought them home they were doing great opening up and feeding at night then they stopped opening and no longer feed one frag is a goner for sure it was the largest of the three the two smaller ones are slowly fading I currently have them in different locations in the tank different light intensity and flow. Anyone have info I don't on scandal or now any good articles on care I currently have an enormous spaghetti leather kryptonite ,candy cane, large pectinia purple gorgonians, frogspawn, hammer, meteor shower chalice blue rg and purple mushrooms and trumpet coral. All these corals are doing fine.,
Any help would be welcome.

I've noticed all my acans prefer low- medium lighting and low- medium flow. Make sure it isn't getting blasted by neither. Also, make sure it isn't too close to any of your stinging corals.. especially the hammer and frogspawn. My frogspawn took out 3 heads on my acan.

Ya I've got the other two under a shelf with lower flow levels I know my lights are very bright and I always back them off in hours and bring them up slowly in hours and placement in the tank.

Keep them low, like on the sand bed. Less flow, the bettef. Check your phosphates and nitrates. I have found acans generally are the first to tell you when those level rise.

I keep mine low in the tank with indirect flow. They are both in areas that get full light but not strong light because they are low in the tank. I've also found these are some of the first corals to let me know when my alk is low, and when they shrink up it takes them awhile to open again (almost a month the first time my alk dropped too low). I've found that while low flow is good, they are poofier when they do get some flow. I recently readjusted a powerhead to give them a little more indirect flow and they poofed up a lot more. I'd try to make sure they aren't in the shade but also not in the brightest spot on your sand.

Out of curiosity, what kind of lights do you have and how close to your other corals are they placed?

I had a mystery Acan problem until I checked at night and found a starfish wrapping them up. Not saying a star is the problem but have you checked them at night? I totally underestimated how much activity happens during a light out period.

Didn't think of that and I have a 16" serpent star thanks ill check it out at night two of the frags are still alive but aren't doing so well.

Back