ACK! GBTA coming soon!

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So on my local reef forum someone was looking to trade their GBTA for a pump that i happened to have so we're doing the deal. My tank seems pretty stable but my last anemone experience was not a good one (the stench will be forever planted in my brain :passedout ) so I'm a little nervous.
Any tips? I may pick it up as soon as tonite. :HELP!:

If your tank is mature (1 year or older) and you have enough light(T5or halide). When it finds where it wants to make its home, feed it about once a week. If they are happy the tend to stay put a little more. If they move around you probably know what happens.

I have the light (6-T5's with individual reflectors), i have the flow, i have the parameters.
My tank is still only a few months old but it was setup with almost all established rock and sand and I didn't have a cycle. Everyone is happy, no lost fish. So yeah, I'm definitely pushing it in that respect but fingers crossed.
My problem last time was probably feeding. Or lack thereof.
What should i feed it?
And should i place it at the base of the rock and let it find a home or is there somewhere specific I should try to place it?

You can feed it silversides.
You can put it on a small rock on the bottom and if it attaches to that you can try to put the rock where you want it.

Ok, cool.
And just use a turkey baster to feed? Squirt right in there?
Probably have to turn off powerheads too, huh?
It still won't just float to the top?

you can also use table shrimp, and if its hungry it will either stick to its tips or itll go right in its mouth. and when you feed your fish the frozen food and it goes flying around your tank and the food passes the anemone it might even grab that

Woah, 6 years huh? Do you feed your tank a lot?

So what about acclimating? Do i just do the usual hour slow drop that I've been doing for my fish?

Drip acclimate it.SLOWLY.
I kept a GBTA for over a year.And it stayed put for 99.9% of the time.Fed it either a raw table shrimp,silverside,clam,and at times,a live damsel.It got huge.Then one night it went for a walk,and cost me several 6"+ colonies of SPS corals.

Put it lower in the tank, and it will crawl up to a nice hole where it likes the light and flow the best. And then it will decide to move again whenever it feels like it with no warning. Man, Yote, I still feel bad for all those sacrificed SPS colonies!

I hear ya Jag.I still get quezzy everytime I look at the bleached out skeletons that use to be some awesome corals.

So my new addition showed up last night.
He wasn't looking good at all in the bag.
And after acclimating him for quite some time, the lights in my tank were off by the time I added him to the tank. But he opened up right away and instantly starting moving around the tank. He actually looked really good from what I could see under the moonlights.
Then this morning I woke up and he was stuck to the side of my K2 powerhead! It sits pretty much on top of my rock on the left side of the tank so he must have crawled up there. He had shrunk to the size of a silver dollar and was stuck with his tentacle side against/in the powerhead grooves. So i turned off the powerhead and hoped for the best. He actually started moving and eventually came down off of it and on to the rocks and started opening back up again. When I left the house this morning he was halfway down the rock. I dunno if he was looking for light last night or what. At one point last night he let go and was just floating around in the tank along the currents, lazily bouncing off the rocks and substrate, but fully open looking pretty good. Weird. Anyway, i left that powerhead off today. The other powerhead he can't reach from the rock work. I have no idea what his plans are for today. :dunno:

thats a good sing that he is jammed inside the rockwork, protecting his foot. now hopefully he wont move and you can begin assembling your reef around him

Often times they will retreat into the rocks to die. If he does not come out to get light, that is a bad sign. A lot of times, they can heal from getting stuck in powerheads. But if their foot was damaged by the powerhead, the chance of it recovering is zero.

Back