Adjusting height on Octo 800s

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Mentioned this in another thread, but my dad picked one of these up for his tank. Working pretty well, skim is still really wet but it's still breaking in.

My question for you guys that have this is how you adjust the height of the unit. The return pipe is really low, to the point where the top of the 90 angle is about 1-2 cm underwater. He's having some issues with bubbles from that and the instructions say you should adjust the height so that it will be just barely above the water...but for the life of me I can't see how you do this...aside from cutting up a 1x2 and putting it under the pipes on the lip of the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks James. I just misunderstood. In the instructions it says to adjust something to get the top of the drain to be sticking up just a little over water level. I would ignore it, but it's causing big bubbles to form and getting quite a bit of salt creep. Could still be break in issues.

Ted: That would normally work, but the water level would be about 2" below the lip of the tank and it wouldn't look that great. At least not to me. I can't stand seeing the waterline from the front of the tank. I'll ask my dad, see if he'll want to do that because it would definitely fix the problem.

take the skimmer off the tank and set it on a 5gal bucket filled with vinager and water and run it like that for a couple days. then clean it out with water and put it on the tank them put the cup up above the little overflow hole and move it down every couple days until the bottom of the cup is covering the hole that little hole is were you get almost all the bubbles from. but keep an eye on it because if you adjust it before the skimmer is broke in it will fill with water fast.

Gdbyrd,

Lets see some pictures.
It should be standard as both the return & surface skimmer section are 90 degreed to hold the unit over the tank. Both the SS & return should be fully submerged.

There should be a black mesh sponge in the bottom of the return section. This is the bubble trap.

Granted, you will still have some bubbles coming out (more if to pump is still breaking in).

Post a pic & I will see if you have it setup right.

Thanks.

Back