Age old feeding question...

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I put algae sheets in my tank everyday (sometimes twice a day) because between the kole eye tang, coral beauty, and lawnmower blenny, they've wiped out all visible traces of algae...but I keep reading that they should be fed the sheets "3 times/week". I see the 3 algae eaters picking at the rocks all day long, so hopefully they're still getting something besides my sheets. So what's your take on it? Best to make it more available, or let them hunt algae?

I have chaeto in an above tank fuge, which tends to keep algae in my dt pretty much low.

I just have a Scopas Tang as of right now, and I give him a piece that's about 2 inches by 3 inches and he gobbles the whole thing up. He still picks at the rocks all day.

I feed every day... as long as he's eating and not wasting it. I've seen his colors improve since I brought him home from the LFS, too...since I've been feeding him every day. And doesn't it also say on the package that it's supposed to help immunity?

I do the exact same thing Wonton. Since we don't have algae in the tank, we've gotta supplement it. the way I look at it, if we had plenty of algae they'd be eating the same amount that we give them with the sheet anyway. Since they're natural grazers, they're going to constantly look for the algae anyway, but the tiny amounts that they can find on the rocks isn't helping their nutrition.

I think they use that 3 times per week, or every other day recommendation assuming that their is also algae in the tank for them to eat.

I haven't had any issues yet, and I think fat happy fish, are prone to be less aggressive.

Oh, my foxface (I forgot to mention him as another one of the algae feeders) is nice and FAT. The cb and tang are happy as can be. I wasn't too worried, but wondered why all these places including liveaquaria suggests supplementing algae sheets 3 times a week. If anything, the frozen food I toss in there at night for the other fish is their meaty supplement.

Well,i use them once a week....,but i'm a big believer in variety ....(as i'm sure you all know by now)...Have you ever tried spinach,or brussel sprouts or zucchini or broccoli or peas?I'm going to start adding carrots to my rotation soon too(good for color)...

Oh, my foxface (I forgot to mention him as another one of the algae feeders) is nice and FAT. The cb and tang are happy as can be. I wasn't too worried, but wondered why all these places including liveaquaria suggests supplementing algae sheets 3 times a week. If anything, the frozen food I toss in there at night for the other fish is their meaty supplement.
Well ,if it ain't broke .........:Cheers:
Just like me...i've had people ask why the heck do i feed like that...
4 years now and my fish are fine with it:D:sfish:

I know ,how awesome is that......just don't think my triggers would appreciate it:lol:.
I also throw in some strawberrys 2 or 3 times a month

I have found that my fish will eat algae sheets as often as I put them in the tank. I have at times put sheets in twice a day, morning and night. I think the only danger is with more feeding is more waste production. Also I would ask the question, How much food do the fish really need?

quote from some famous fish dude " a hungry fish is a healthy fish"
good or bad? I sure don't know, but if your water is staying good and everything is working why not?

Well, all the sites also say that these algae eaters are grazers...they eat all day long...and since they wiped out my hair algae, there's not much left to graze on in the DT (thank you fuge!). That "algae sheets thrice a week" thing doesn't work if you don't have much algae growth.

YES lots of poop!!! Skimmer's earning its keep, definitely. I'm ready to upgrade to an octopus :)

Natural is always better.
If the fish are picking at the rocks,they are picking algae.:D or pods. Even if you cant see it,there is some algae growing.Might just be little pockets of phytoplankton,but its there.

Well,i use them once a week....,but i'm a big believer in variety ....(as i'm sure you all know by now)...Have you ever tried spinach,or brussel sprouts or zucchini or broccoli or peas?I'm going to start adding carrots to my rotation soon too(good for color)...

That's interesting! I didn't know you could do that!

And Strawberries...what a treat!

When I had my freshwater tank with the oscars pacus and the 2 foot long plecostomus, I would put a nice long slice of zucchini in there for the pleco. He would attach to it and float around on it munching lol

When I had my freshwater tank with the oscars pacus and the 2 foot long plecostomus, I would put a nice long slice of zucchini in there for the pleco. He would attach to it and float around on it munching lol

I used to feed my Oscars frogs... lol My Oscars were enormus...

My pleco was 2ft long when he died... poor guy. He was hard as a rock.

Back