aiptasia control

alharrison

Reefing newb
I'm new to salt water reef aquariums. I've had my tank set up with live rock for about two months. I've started to see aiptasias, about four or five, in my live rocks. My fish supplier sold me some "Aiptasia- X" to inject at the mouth of the pests, and I've already used it. By researching the control of Aiptasia on the web I see I can control them naturally with Berghia Nudibranch. I prefer natural solutions over chemicals if possible. My question is since I've already treated with the chemicals, how long do I need to wait before I can introduce the Nudibranch's into my tank. I read online that the chemicals can kill the Nudibranch's

Hello and Welcome!

Unless you have a serious, serious, serious aiptasia problem I would pass over the nudibranches. They only eat aiptasia, and will starve to death once the aiptasia is gone. A better natural method is try and find some peppermint shrimps that will eat them. Not all shrimps will eat them, so I would suggest getting 5 or 6 to increase your odds.

Chemical means arent always a bad way to deal with a problem. I would suggest using the aiptasia X to deal with the aiptasia you can see now and have the peppermint shrimp on hand to eat any that pop up afterwards.

Nudis are very hit or miss when it comes to controlling aiptasia. I've heard more stories of people adding them to the tank and never seeing them again than I have heard stories of them successfully controlling aiptasia. And like Hannah said, once they run out of food, they die.

Peppermint shrimp and Aiptasia X are the best combo for handling aiptasia, in my opinion.

Back