Alex's 75 gal

Very nice looking tank. I dunno why but something about it makes it seem to have a very natural look. Makes me appreciate leathers more. Is that the tank with LED lighting?

Yup, all LED lighting. In my opinion, a lot of the natural look comes from the GSP filling in the gaps. It doesn't seem to infringe on other corals growth - they actually push it back when they need to expand.

Last edited:
So, here's probably my last tank update before the tank shuts down and Biff foster's a good chunk of my corals! Sad, because it's really starting to look well put together.
The great news is, I'll be upgrading to a 180g long in a year, and that means an awesome build thread!

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

Yeah, the toadstool is enormous! I'm probably going to cut it in half when I send it to you, Sarah, so I can send you the other half in the 2nd shipment, to keep it safe.

That GSP colony started off as a 1" piece of GSP and now I have 3 boulder sized colonies of it. The one in the picture grew on this amazing, plate-sized brain coral skeleton I got from Jamaica. It gets these growths that stick out of it, and I just peel them off, rubber band them to other rocks, and I have virtually unlimited frags of it.

Anyone ever see those red zoas with the really long skirts in the 2nd to last photo? I found them, brown and boring in my LFS' tank, took them home, and they colored right up - not sure if they've got a fancy name...

Call em Alex's Blackhawks.:D
I sure hate knowing that such a great looking tank will be coming apart.But I also appreciate why it has to happen and look forward to the new build when you get back.

Good call, Yote! I'll use my callsign for them - Voodoo Paly's.

To be honest, I'm not terribly sad (besides losing my fish) that my tank is coming down - while it's fairly successful, some things about it bother me. It has no sump, isn't "reef-ready", is messy underneath (I plan on putting in a full electrical box, etc to clean up all the wires), and I don't like the stand. PLUS, when I moved, I put it in crooked, and before I noticed, I filled it up, so it's stuck that way.

I'm really looking forward to updating it and fixing a lot of that stuff. My biggest challenge is going to be making sure it fits and ensuring the floor is braced from the basement for the extra weight. I'm also not sure if I want to move soon, so it'd suck to start a whole new build when I get back, and a year later, have to move a massive 180!!

Back